How to understand spoken spanish | SpanishDict Answers
× THIS POST IS CLOSED.

¿Hola, algunos tienen consejos en entendiendo español hablado?

Hi, does anyone have tips on understanding spoken spanish better?

Gracias, Thanks,

• ...tienen consejos en entender el español... - Jeremias Nov 25, 2011 flag
[Additional commenting is closed on this post]

Listen as much as you can. Find some music you like and listen to it a lot. Watch movies three times: once with English subtitles, once with Spanish subtitles, once with no subtitles. Go to CNN Viva and try to transcribe a 3 minute video. Use headphones and listen over and over. It gets easier!

I have studied Spanish one year, one my own, and I was often discouraged because I couldn't pick up words in spoken Spanish.

I understand spoken very very well now, without any conscience effort. I mean to say that I never "practiced" my comprehension. (Because every time I tried, I got discouraged haha). But about 6 months ago I started to listen to Spanish music, just to enjoy it, and have something new. Little by little, I recognized words and learned pronunciation. I also listen to various podcasts from iTunes, but listening to music constantly has been my very biggest help. Now I go on YouTube and watch videos from people that speak very fast, or with difficult accents, to help myself improve. ( I don't suggest you use YouTube until you can understand Spanish pretty well haha)

So it does take time, to train your ear to how a new language sounds, and it does take dedication. Music is easy to listen to, and enjoy, but you still need to motivate yourself to do it.

Realistically, you can't expect to receive some magic tip and learn to comprehend overnight. It's like learning to play an instrument by ear....it is something you yourself have to learn how to do.

So..this has been my advice. I hope you find it useful jeje.

Suggestion:

Hola, ¿alguien tiene algunos consejos para entender mejor el español hablado?

or possibly:

Hola, ¿alguien tiene algunos consejos para que entienda mejor el español hablado?

As to your question, there is no real trick that I know of other than to try to expose yourself to the spoken language as much as possible. Getting to know native speakers is probably one of the better ways to go about this, but short of this, it is also helpful to listen to Spanish music (try to learn the lyrics by ear as best you can) and to watch Spanish television, movies, etc. Websites like tu.tv and youtube are really helpful for this. Try to find subject matter that you enjoy so that you won't mind watching it over and over (think about the effect it has on children who watch the same movie or have the same book read to them repeatedly—before long they are usually reciting the words verbatim. More importantly, even if they don't understand what every single word means, they are still gaining a firm understanding of the syntactic relationship that each word has in a typical sentence.

In my own limited experience with the language, I have found that after having spent about a year consistently training my ear through music and videos, I was able to reach a level where I felt relatively comfortable with the language. That is, I found myself able to pick up probably 80 to 90 percent of what was being said in typical Spanish movie or television program (though an actual live conversation was probably less comprehensible for me). From that point, progress has come slowly and in little snatches here and there until, finally, I am at a point where I feel fairly confident in my ability to understand most of what I hear including live conversations.

Just try to bear in mind that training your ear is a gradual process, and though it takes time, if you stick with it, little by little you will find yourself able to pick out more and more of what is being said until in the end you will find yourself able to understand the majority if not all of what is being said.

It just takes practice to tune your ear to it. Your brain has to get used to distinguishing between the words. I would recommend watching Spanish TV/listing to Spanish radio. Even if you don't understand it, your ear will become accustomed to it and it will help you out. Buen suerte!

Good question. Good answers. I share the same struggle. My strategy is to set aside my pride and pretend that I'm three yrs old again, trying to unravel the mysteries of language. To that end, I go to YouTube and watch cartoons in español. My faves are el coche nuevo de Mickey and other old Disney cartoons, and any Pocoyó en español cartoon. There are many, many to choose from. These are my faves because they are clever and sophisticated enough to be entertaining, complicated enough to challenge me, but not so complicated as to completely discourage me. ¡Pasito a pasito!

Please have a look at previous answers, this has been discussed many times before, thanks a lotgrin

Welcome to the forumsmile

THIS POST IS CLOSED.
It may not be voted on, answered, or commented on. It may only be edited by moderators.