How do you say collard greens in Spanish? | SpanishDict Answers

How do you say collard greens in Spanish? Is there a word for that in Spanish or is that mostly an American thing?

I've received different translations such as:

-verduras -berzas -verdes

But verduras, literally means vegetables, berzas is the plural of cabbage, and verdes just means greens. I'm guessing the closest thing would be verdes?

Verdes de yuck !

wiki español

collard greens npl (dark-green cabbage-like vegetable) México col silvestre nf

Cooked collard greens look like spinach but taste much different. col berza nf

I found this on WR, I didn't know that existed actually, we do not use that in Spain.

collard greens

The plant is also called couve in Brazil, couve-galega in Portugal, kovi or kobi in Cape Verde, berza in Spanish-speaking countries, raštika in Bosnia and Herzegovina and Croatia and raštan in Montenegro and Serbia. In Kashmir, it is called haak.

I read a discussion on that where it meant different things between Chile and Argentina.

Indeed. Checking Wikipedia is the easiest way to find the proper word, as you can switch the language for the same article.

According to Wikipedia, Collard Greens are correctly translated as "Berza".

Where I grew up we called them Acelgas, which Wikipedia informs me are "Chard".

Looking at them side by side, I can clearly see the difference, but I can also see how they can be easily confused. Berza they are, then. Now, what they're actually called in a supermarket in different countries is a different matter.

• eso me pareció, si eran acelgas, en mi pueblo tienen otra pinta...te conste que una vez cocidos parecen más bien acelgas..en fin, ni idea - 00494d19 Nov 21, 2011 flag

Acelgas.

• I read a discussion on that where it meant different things between Chile and Argentina. - 0074b507 Nov 21, 2011 flag
  • Most fruits and vegetables have different names in different Spanish speaking countries. Knowing *where* you need the word is as important as what is the right word. - Gekkosan Nov 21, 2011 flag

¡Gracias por las respuestas!