1

For one of my Spanish project I needs to use certain words and I would like to use don't (or do not) but I don't know how.

Thank you, Tsuki

3

Hi TsukiOnna, and welcome to the SpanishDict "Answers" forum!

Generally, to negate a verb, you would simply position the word "no" or some other negative (such as nunca, tampoco, nadie, etc) in front of the verb.

In the absence of further context, I would probably suggest you go with "no."

►Los niños no tienen zapatos → The children do not have shoes.

No me lo digasDon't say that to me

1

don't (+ verb) = no (+verb)

• Nov 16, 2011
0

Hi Tsuki,

This all depends on what verb you're using.

Please tell us what verb you will be using so we can help you.

• Nov 14, 2011
0

Your profile is very incomplete. Based on your choice of username, I would assume that you are Japanese (since "tsuki onna" means "moon woman"). On the other hand, your topic question (except for some missing quotation marks) suggests a considerable familiarity with English (unusual in a Japanese).

SonrisaDelSol has already addressed the basic problem. "do" is a helping" verb in English. In conversation, it can stand by itself (because the accompanying main verb is understood from the context). Many other languages do not support this kind of shortcut (for the most part, Japanese doesn't, either).

Thus, instead of "I don't" or "He doesn't" you need to specify what it is that I don't/he doesn't do. e.g. "I don't read/eat/go/pretty much any verb, etc.

• Nov 15, 2011