yo quiero hablar en espanol | SpanishDict Answers

Bueno,

Yo leer espanol mas bien que hablando y escribiendo. (as you can read)
I listen to tapes, read, and visit websites often en espanol, pero mi espanol es muy mal. (basically I can read and understand, I can listen and understand, but I can't respond... without sounding like an... how do you say... pendeja!!!!

How can I match my verbal abilities to my reading abilities.... yo necesita mas ayuda!!!

Hi Lakisha! ^^
I'm a spanish girl from Canary Islands (Spain). If you want, I can help you to learn spanish ^^

If you need help, only ask me smile

Hola LaKisha,
I thought the word was "pendejO" jejejeje :D. I agree with SLP2008, I read Spanish newspapers and mags as often as possible and use msn chat to practise with other users from this forum. And carry your dictionary around (or even a traveledition) so you can browse through it on the train, at the dentist's, wherever.... And we are always around to help each other out smile. Enjoy!
Saludos, ChicaSabrosa

Hi LaKisha
I know exactly what you mean. My problem was that I could speak it better than understanding it. Many times I have been on holiday, asked a question in quite decent spanish and not understood a word of the reply. Believe me, it will come with practice.

With regards help, you couldn't be in a better place than here. Since finding this site, which was only a few months ago, my spanish, particularly the grammer, has improved immensely. Someone in my spanish class even asked if I was having an affair with, and I will use his words not mine, A Spanish bird. Certainly not I said what makes you think that. It's just that your spanish has improved so much recently he said.

Remember the proverb - Querer es Poder - Where there's a will, there's a way. Just keep at it.

Thank you all for your much needed advice... I will be on this site addictively. I live in Phoenix, and several of my neighbors are native spanish speakers... I just haven't gotten the nerve to speak to them in spanish beyond "hola" and "tenga un buen dia".

I think this site will be very helpful.

Gracia por la attencion y ayuda!!!!

Practice, practice, practice. Don't be afraid to talk to your neighbors. They will be appreciative that you are trying, will respect you for that and even help you if you ask them.

Hola LaKisha, me llamo Martha y yo estoy queriendo mejorar mi inglés porque soy de México, pero no dudes en preguntarme cualquier cosa que se te dificulte.

Te escribí en español porque escribiste que entiendes bien al leer.

My advise learn "Gramatica" , but consciously, well is a redundancy, because the real learning just can be consciuosly.
If you allow me, for example I am going to correct some little mistake in your writting.

In spanish the infinitive verbs ends in "ar, er.ir" as:
To read ( leer ) that you used, but you can not say " Yo leer espanol" you have to say : Yo leo espanol. In spanish in present time each pronoun have their own finished ( it is not like in english that only change in the 3th person ).
I read ....... Yo leo
You read ... Tu lees Usted lee more respectfull way for people that you do not know.
She/he reads .... Ella/ El lee
This verb "Leer " is a regular verb, it is means, that other verb could ending in the same way.
I am going to do the comparation with your verb : Leer and anothers:
Leer, Comer ( eat), Beber ( drink) Ver (see ) creer ( believe). Pay special attention to the ending
Yo leo, Yo como, Yo bebo, Yo veo, Yo creo. All of them you remove the ending "er" for "o".
Tu lees, Tu comes, Tu bebes, Tu ves, Tu crees. You remove "er" for "es"
Usted lee, Usted come, Usted bebe, Usted ve, Usted cree. ( respectfull way) remove "er" add "e"
El lee, El Come, El Bebe, El Ve, El Cree. (like before) remove "er" for "e"

I know that learning in this way is a little boring and tired, but i think that a little rewiew of this little think can help you to hear better, when you listen to somebody saying ( for example) :
Hola! Como estas? ( Hello! How are you ') that person say estas, because is "you" "tu"
Hola! Como estas (tu)? Verb: Estar Yo estoy, Tu estas, El esta ( you only can use "estas" with "tu")
But if you listen :
Hola! Como esta? Is the same "you" but in our respectfull way "Usted"
Hola! Como esta (usted) ?
Is good to say that nowadays, some people ( specially young people, and some olders that they do not want to feel old (rediculous, you are the age that you are, there is nothing to feel ashamed) ) not use this way, but this way show not only respect and cortesy but education.
For example you are a married woman with childre, young people and people that not know you have to call you "Usted" if you do not want to use this formule is your choise, not the other ones' choise.
Of course you can tell them: Please, don't call me Usted, call me tu, we are friends ( Por favor no me llames de usted,llamame Tu, somos amigos.
People do not use tu in bad way, most of them is because they do not give any importance to this formule, or simplely they do not have that education.
By the way, in the same way you can ask somebody that you recently know or your respect, but is your friend > Can I call you Tu? Puedo llamarte de Tu? Puedo decirte Tu?
In resume, learn this little tips and then listen them when people talk can help you to learn better, is my advise.
I hope this help you in something.
Rebeca

• please help mi i am just like lakisha please,please,please help mi improve my spaish especially speaking any help???????????????????????????????? - lolalucas Mar 9, 2010 flag
  • please help me i am just like lakisha please,please,please help mi improve my spaish especially speaking any help???????????????????????????????? - - lolalucas May 11, 2010 flag

Hi Lakisha! I am also learning spanish on my own and I am finding that it is far easier to read and speak spanish than it is to understand it when it is spoken by native speakers (at their normal pace). I tried watching Univision and ESPN Deportes and it helped a little but I found it was too big of a leap because they speak just as fast (or faster). What I am doing now (and it is REALLY helping me) is listening to Tejano music! If you have a smartphone, you can download the iHeartRadio app and add Tejano 1600 (out of Tucson) to your favorites and just listen. Because they are singing, they are not speaking as fast and it helps you practice parsing. Soon, you're no longer parsing and, instead, you start understanding entire phrases that you hear. Which is where you want to get to because that's how you 'hear' english. Besides, it's fun music so it's a win-win!

Buena Suerte!