'Who are you ?' in spanish is 'quien eres tu?' instead of 'quien es usted ?'.. y ? | SpanishDict Answers

Does the 's' remain silent in 'eres' ?

• please try to avoid using typing shortcuts so as to not confuse anyone : ) - unMica Oct 3, 2011 flag

There's no 'd' in 'eres'.

Check out the conjugation of ser here.

eres - second person singular

usted es - third person singular formal

Both Quién es usted? and Quién eres tú? both mean Who are you?

As Jack said, the form is the informal you. You should use it among people you are really close to like friends and family. The usted form is the formal you. You should use it when you are trying to show respect or honor to someone, or if you just don't know them that well (ex. your teacher, boss, coworker, neighbor, a random stranger you just met, etc). I hope this helps. smile

• Note: Learners of English, please excuse the fact that I have the word "both" written twice. I only need one. It doesn't matter which one remains or leaves, the sentence will still have the same meaning...just a different order. - Goldie_Miel Oct 3, 2011 flag
  • "el tuteo" is quite common in Spain (including with total strangers). - samdie Oct 4, 2011 flag
  • Oh yea, you're absolutely right. I forgot about that. I was just trying to give the poster a general feel...Thanks ;) - Goldie_Miel Oct 4, 2011 flag

No, it is best (and correct) to pronounce the s!

is the familiar form of 'you' when you know someone well or if it is a smaller child or someone younger than you (if it is the first you wouldn't have to ask who they are).

is a more formal way to say 'you'.

• Uh-oh. My answer is half there. Oh, well. I see Goldie Miel said what I was going to say. I'll keep trying to learn how to format my post. - katydew Oct 3, 2011 flag