How do you ask 'What's the weather like?' in Spanish?

I don't think the dictionary gave me the correct one.

Thanks!

¿Que tiempo hace? Is the basic way to ask how is the weather, as in "How's the weather today?"

If you asked about el clima you would be asking more about the climate in general.

You could say "¿Cómo está el clima en este país en enero?", for example.

"¿Qué tiempo hace?" I think.

• I agree - trip2themoon Oct 3, 2011 flag
  • You forgot the tilde over the e in Qué, since here it is used as an interrogative (in a question). - trip2themoon Oct 3, 2011 flag

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think clima is weather in a more permanent way, like climate in English, whereas tiempo is more usually used to ask about the weather today.

• That is what I thought as well. - tc84 Oct 3, 2011 flag

Hello.

We usually say : ¿Cómo está el clima? or you could also hear people saying¿Cómo está el tiempo?.

Both are right, so you could use them, and everyone will understand you without any problem.

Un abrazo.

You can also avoid the pesky ser/estar issue by saying "¿Qué tal el tiempo hoy?"

P.S. Congratulations and thanks for your properly punctuating your topic question. Were it in my power to do so, I'd award you a thousand reputation points simply for a well-phrased/punctuated question. I wouldn't think that it was very difficult to do so but apparently ...

• Haha Thanks :) I know...A lot of people don't know how to punctuate in the world it seems. - CourtneyE15 Oct 3, 2011 flag

¿Cómo está la el clima?

"Qué tiempo hace?" question

What's the weather like?

Hacer, meaning to do or to make, is conjugated to the third party singular in reference to tiempo.

I like to remember this by using the corresponding English sentence: What does the weather make? For example: The weather makes cold, or the weather makes wind, etc...Qué tiempo hace? It's just the way Spanish is. cheese

Are you sure that you are not imposing an English usage on to a Spanish usage?

Maybe but SDs own dictionary seems to imply that clima is more climate than daily weather. link text

Whereas the usages suggested for tiempo are more related to daily weather: http://www.spanishdict.com/translate/tiempo

1. weather (clima) hizo buen/mal tiempo -> the weather was good/bad si el tiempo lo permite o no lo impide -> weather permitting hace un tiempo de perros -> it's a foul day poner a o al mal tiempo buena cara -> to put a brave face on things
  • I would prefer tiempo also, but I think that Vicenta1 is correct. Both are used and would be understood. - 0074b507 Oct 3, 2011 flag
  • I'm sure he is, I am only a beginner :) - MaryMcc Oct 3, 2011 flag

• Je, je, je. Are you sure that wasn't written by a non-native? (nonetheless, an interesting find). - samdie Oct 3, 2011 flag