16

I heard that a friend gave birth yesterday and was thinking what a miracle it is to conceive, grow, and give birth to a human being.

Whether it be God, the Universe, free-flowing energy, or whatever source....most people cannot deny that miracles do indeed exist. (If you do deny their existence, then free free to skip this post. Thanks.)

In this thread, please post your photos and/or stories of what you consider a miracle, e.g., a pretty flower, a sinking ship that was saved, a bird in flight, etc.

Feel free to post as many times and as many photos as you wish.

I call my example

"The Miracle of Life"(El Milagro de la Vida)

(click here to see the uncensored original -- warning: contains nudity)

• That is beautiful! - Christina_Te Sep 23, 2011
  • awww so nice Mariana. - billygoat Sep 23, 2011
  • So cute and wrinkley - pesta Sep 23, 2011
  • Pesta, thats no way to talk about our Mariana ;-) - billygoat Sep 23, 2011
  • Jajajaja! - --Mariana-- Sep 23, 2011

8

I watched her for weeks, and then one Sunday morning in May, there she was and I was her personal photographer.

• Well done, impressive photo. - tc84 Sep 23, 2011
  • Beautiful photo Joe. :) - Jason7R Sep 23, 2011
  • Awwwwww....so great..thanks for sharing. - --Mariana-- Sep 23, 2011
  • The photo is masterfully taken. But that is just the beginning. The layers of symbolism and sheer breathtaking beauty make it as unforgettable as anything I have seen in a museum. You gave me another miracle today when I saved a copy to my hard drive. - territurtle Sep 23, 2011
  • Una composicion hermosa...a beautiful composition. - SusanaEspana Sep 24, 2011
8

They say that scientists can't explain how bees fly and that engineers have proven, according to the laws of aerodynamics, that bees can't fly. Yet, here they are:

• Sep 23, 2011
  • Nice! - --Mariana-- Sep 23, 2011
  • I don't want to rain on the parade, really I don't, but this isn't true, it is a myth. They *do* know how bees fly. - Fredbong Sep 23, 2011
7

"Metamorphosis"(metamorfosis)

• Sep 23, 2011
  • I can't find the study but there were some people recently who claimed it might be possible that caterpillars and butterflies are two separate species who living inside each other during different phases of their lives. - rabbitwho Sep 23, 2011
  • The idea is that the caterpillar is born with the seed or larva of the butterfly inside of him and when he dies the butterfly feeds on him and off she goes. It's amazing we actually know so little about insects that no one can prove or disprove this! - rabbitwho Sep 23, 2011
  • Wow...that's really interesting! - --Mariana-- Sep 23, 2011
  • Interesting . A new theory? - porcupine7 Sep 23, 2011
  • Thank you Rabbit - ianta Sep 23, 2011
6

My Miracle is a grandson excaim

• awww he's lovely :) - billygoat Sep 23, 2011
  • ¡Gracias mi amigo! :-> - territurtle Sep 23, 2011
  • ¡Qué precioso! - --Mariana-- Sep 23, 2011
  • (see above) Grandma is dancing for joy reading your complements!! - territurtle Sep 23, 2011
5

I witnessed a miracle last weekend in Berlin.........my mate got a round of beers in wink

• Sep 23, 2011
  • That I S a miracle...nice going! - --Mariana-- Sep 23, 2011
  • And then what happened? - ianta Sep 23, 2011
  • Ianta.......the beer just kept flowing :) Mind you, I have been ill ever since I returned so perhaps it wasn't too good an idea lol - billygoat Sep 23, 2011
5

No hay medicina que cure lo que no cura la felicidad. There´s no medicine that cures what happiness doesn´t.

-Gabriel García Márquez

and I would add "humor."

• Sep 23, 2011
5

La naturaleza es un milagro.

• Belize's "blue hole" - wonderful. - pesta Sep 23, 2011
  • You mean, naturaleza - pesta Sep 23, 2011
  • I didn't, but I do now. Now that you taught me. - LaloLoco Sep 23, 2011
  • Oh, wow..gorgeous! - --Mariana-- Sep 23, 2011
5

El ojo:

The human eye is enormously complicated - a perfect and interrelated system of about 40 individual subsystems, including the retina, pupil, iris, cornea, lens and optic nerve. For instance, the retina has approximately 137 million special cells that respond to light and send messages to the brain. About 130 million of these cells look like rods and handle the black and white vision. The other seven million are cone shaped and allow us to see in color. The retina cells receive light impressions, which are translated to electric pulses and sent to the brain via the optic nerve. A special section of the brain called the visual cortex interprets the pulses to color, contrast, depth, etc., which allows us to see "pictures" of our world. Incredibly, the eye, optic nerve and visual cortex are totally separate and distinct subsystems. Yet, together, they capture, deliver and interpret up to 1.5 million pulse messages a milli-second! It would take dozens of Cray supercomputers programmed perfectly and operating together flawlessly to even get close to performing this task.

Here is a link to a short article on a similar theme from the UK Daily Mail:

human eye

• Sep 23, 2011
  • I'm always in awe of how the body works. - --Mariana-- Sep 23, 2011
  • Me too, the eye in particular is amazing in it's complexity. - amykay Sep 23, 2011
  • If only *my* eyes worked so well, hehe. - Fredbong Sep 23, 2011
  • I am legally blind, but even the minuscule portion left to me utterly fills my world. :) - territurtle Sep 23, 2011
  • wow terri, I didn't know... - amykay Sep 23, 2011
4

Many discoveries in science are first seen as a miracle.

link to article about particles moving faster than the speed of life.

• Sep 23, 2011
4

The miracle that a robot on Mars, designed for a 90-day mission, is still working today, more than seven years later.

Spirit and Opportunity landed on Mars in January, 2004.

• Sep 23, 2011
  • Wish our cars were that reliable. - --Mariana-- Sep 23, 2011
  • Just have N A S A build your next car on government funds. :) - pesta Sep 23, 2011
  • Isn't that so unbelievably fantastic!! - territurtle Sep 23, 2011
  • While this is awesome, I hope you keep in mind that the reason it has lasted so long is because of the diligent efforts of the drivers. Please give them the credit they deserve. - Fredbong Sep 23, 2011
  • Spot on, Fredbong!! It's an amazing story of tenacity and sheer brilliance. - territurtle Sep 24, 2011
4

¿Creen en milagros? Por su puesto....

Miracles

• Sep 23, 2011
4

When I was a kid my history teacher asked the class if any of us had seen a miracle. I didn't raise my hand because I didn't know what kind of miracle she was looking for. Then she said, afterward, that she had a friend who is a paramedic/birthing doctor because she thought babies were miracles.

Well if I knew that qualified I would have raised my hand too.

This is my miracle. Computing. I greatly appreciate the works of Alan Turing, George Boole, Lady Lovelace, and all the other people whom have given rise to modern computing. alt text

• Sep 23, 2011
  • Good one...it's a miracle every time I use Skype and talk to people all over the world. - --Mariana-- Sep 23, 2011
  • Since I remember the days of vacuum tubes, and have come to see the day when people have more computing power in their cell phones, than the entire aggregate which put a man on the moon, your miracle completely overwhelms me. - territurtle Sep 23, 2011
4

Cada lunes es mi trabajo a recoger mi nieto Marshall del jardín de infancía. ¿Y el milago? El sentimiento de la mano de Marshall en el mío cuando caminamos a casa.

Every Monday it's my job to pick up my grandson Marshall from kindergarten. And the miracle? The feeling of Marshall's hand in mine when we walk home.

• Perfecto, amiga! - --Mariana-- Sep 23, 2011
  • I was about to change "caminamos" to "caminemos" - no? - nonombre Sep 23, 2011
  • My heart full of joy goes out to you. I will be unable to have this boundless elation, but knowing you have it is enough. - territurtle Sep 23, 2011
4

I took this picture of a beautiful sunset out of an airplane window.

P1010295

• Sep 23, 2011
3

To me, it's a miracle that bald eagles came back from near extinction. alt text Yeah, I'm talking to you.

• Sep 23, 2011
  • | Edited by JoyceM Sep 23, 2011
  • Sorry about the double posting. I thought that the first photo didn't load. I don't know how to delete an entry. - JoyceM Sep 24, 2011
  • Great photos!! - --Mariana-- Sep 24, 2011