Can "Que pasa?" mean "what's going on?" as in "I'm confused, what the hell is going on?" or is it just a more general "wassup" type phrase? | SpanishDict Answers

Can "Que pasa?" mean "what's going on?" as in "I'm confused, what the hell is going on?" or is it just a more general "wassup" type phrase?

If "qué pasó" can be used as "what happened?", I see no reason why "¿qué pasa?" cannot be used as (and I quote)..."I'm confused, what the hell is going on?"

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Qué pasa and que pasó both are used upon seeing someone familiar, and mean roughly, "What's up?", or "What's happening?" The difference is regional, for instance in Mexico it's usually ¿Que pasó? So that's casual, like "a more general "wassup" type phrase."

As far as a more focused and intense meaning, that would come with tone of voice and context. If you walked in on an argument between your spouse and child you could say either, with an appropriate tone, to mean "I'm confulsed, what's going on." Pretty much the same as in English.

¿Le robó esa pasa?

¿Qué pasa?

Thanks everyone, this is useful.

Hola K, I hope you don't mind if I just use one K? Welcome to the forum.