5

Can "Que pasa?" mean "what's going on?" as in "I'm confused, what the hell is going on?" or is it just a more general "wassup" type phrase?

4

If "qué pasó" can be used as "what happened?", I see no reason why "¿qué pasa?" cannot be used as (and I quote)..."I'm confused, what the hell is going on?"

• Sep 13, 2011
4

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Qué pasa and que pasó both are used upon seeing someone familiar, and mean roughly, "What's up?", or "What's happening?" The difference is regional, for instance in Mexico it's usually ¿Que pasó? So that's casual, like "a more general "wassup" type phrase."

As far as a more focused and intense meaning, that would come with tone of voice and context. If you walked in on an argument between your spouse and child you could say either, with an appropriate tone, to mean "I'm confulsed, what's going on." Pretty much the same as in English.

• Sep 13, 2011
1

¿Le robó esa pasa?

¿Qué pasa?

• Sep 13, 2011
1

Thanks everyone, this is useful.

• Sep 13, 2011
1

Hola K, I hope you don't mind if I just use one K? Welcome to the forum.

• Sep 13, 2011