99 Poemas De Amor.... | SpanishDict Answers

I was reading a book called "99 Poemas De Amor" and came across this poem called "Tú Me Quieres Blanca" and thought You want me white?! What is this about? I then began to read a little of it and saw that it was by a woman named Alfonsina Storni (1892-1838). I of course googled her and came up with this....Alfonsian Storni

I found out that "Tú Me Quieres Blanca" was simply about her struggle with men wanting women to be "pure" when they came to them (that particular man). She seemed to have many struggles during her life and she ended up taking it at the age of 46. She was a feminist but it almost seems like she just wanted to be loved and taken cared of. I don't know her father had a couple of failed businesses and she had to be the bread winner for the family. Once she was hit with depression and cancer I guess she felt there was no place else for her. I truly wish people would help each other out more...even if that person doesn't want to be helped out. All you can do is encourage and try to be positive with them. I've said a million time you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. This doesn't mean you don't lead them. I would love comments on the poem and I'm going to put my favorite part....

Ni un rayo de luna
Filtrado me haya.
Ni una margarita
Se diga mi hermana.
Tú me quieres nívea,
Tú me quieres blanca,
Tú me quieres alba.

That not even a moonbeam
Might have touched me
Nor a daisy
Call herself my sister
You want me like snow
You want me white
You want me to be the dawn

I don't care who you are....nobody is perfect and to expect this is foolish. Strive to be the best you can be and people will love you!! wink

• I don't get the "call herself my sister" line - ian-hill Aug 24, 2011 flag

I like this one.

When the moon quiet and still

lets you the green of grass see

when she lays down to sleep till

again the stars become free

then as dawn moves you close to the one

who is your love for another day

how you feel forget not to say.

Cos I wrote it smile

Can anyone attempt a translation? Please!

I've got more grin

• Hmm. That "cos" ought to be worth a few days in the Dunce Corner. Remember the forum rules about slang/substandard English...only if it is the topic. Of course, here we can grant you poetic license. - 0074b507 Aug 24, 2011 flag
  • Cos u rote it, cuz?! Kewl... ;-) - cristalino Aug 24, 2011 flag
  • I have never been in the Dunce Corner - so I wonder who I would meet there. - ian-hill Aug 24, 2011 flag
  • I'm behind the vase Ian....waving my hand timidly as to not disturb the delicate balance. :) - Jason7R Aug 24, 2011 flag
  • :) - ian-hill Aug 24, 2011 flag

Very pleasant post... enjoyed the lines you shared with us... I too was curious about the use of "blanca" and didn't think "white" at first... but "blank," which then made me think of the phrase "tabula rasa"... and I think this pendulum swings both ways, in that both sexes have those among them who are setting their expectations too high... seeking the so-called "perfect mate" and we all know that's as likely as finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow... enjoy the rainbow for what it is and while it is present... smile

• I am lucky to know where a rainbow ends - it ends where you are if the weather circumstances are ideal - I saw it once. - ian-hill Aug 24, 2011 flag
  • Cristalino...I definitely agree with you...the "perfect mate".....when I gave my vows to my wife...for better and worse, in sickness and in health...it doesn't matter...I'll love her always. :) - Jason7R Aug 24, 2011 flag
  • I, too, once saw the "end of a rainbow." Unbelievably, it does exist. And even more unbelievably, so does the one I will always love more than any other on earth. - territurtle Aug 25, 2011 flag
  • Ok, so the rainbow's end has been empirically determined, but what about the pot o' gold? :) - cristalino Aug 25, 2011 flag

This is a beautiful poem Jason.

She was a feminist but it almost seems like she just wanted to be loved and taken cared of.

I think that is what everyone wants in this life. Everyone needs to know that they are worthy of love and that someone will ultimately be there to take care of them.

Thanks for sharing. smile

• Thank you Nicole. I definitely agree with you!! :) - Jason7R Aug 24, 2011 flag
  • Every day I fight like the devil against "being taken care of," and on most days my husband wins. Perhaps someday I'll learn how to accept it?? - territurtle Aug 25, 2011 flag

I would really like some natives to help out with the translation of Ian's poem. I gave it my all but....
James Ingram

Yeah, you know where I'm going with this....if not...good song smile

• Nothing could please me more right now than seeing Ian's magnificent poem translated ... - territurtle Aug 25, 2011 flag

Thanks, Jason, really nice.

• Gracias guapa....tengas un buen día besos - Jason7R Aug 25, 2011 flag

Ian,
When the moon quiet and still

lets you the green of grass see

when she lays down to sleep till

again the stars become free

then as dawn moves you close to the one

who is your love for another day

how you feel forget not to say.

Yes, I've got to give it a try...

Cuando la luna está tranquila y inmóvil

Le permites el cespéd de verde a ver

Cuando establece a dormir hasta

Otra vez las estrellas llegan a ser libres

Entonces tan el amanecer te acerca a la persona

Quién estás tu amor para un otro día

Cómo sientes olvidar no decir.

If I'm close I'll be stoked. I though hey the gauntlet was thrown and I wanted to try. wink

• Jason you get a vote from me whatever the experts say - muchas gracias. - ian-hill Aug 24, 2011 flag
  • I think you are very close - ian-hill Aug 24, 2011 flag
  • Thanks Ian...hopefully some natives will weigh in on your poem. :) - Jason7R Aug 24, 2011 flag
  • Jason, I owe you more than all the votes this site could bestow. - territurtle Aug 25, 2011 flag
  • @ territurtle...aww thanks. - Jason7R Aug 26, 2011 flag