What is the difference between negrito and negro? is negrito mean smaller black color?

• Sometimes it is a matter of expressing affection or not, not a matter of size. Diminuitives are used to express afftection. p.ej.: mamacita - 0074b507 Aug 24, 2011 flag

Hi, Samo. Welcome to the forum.

The word "negro" means black and "negrito" means "little black."

Lots of folks in Latin America will call certain friends "negrito" as a nickname when he has dark skin. It's not an insult.

I am not sure of the difference , but I used to drink a fantastic Rum years ago

called " Rum Negrita " it was incredible , sadly I can no longer obtain it .

As the name suggests it was a dark sweet rum , so eeeeeeasy to drink.

Best of luck Samo22 welcome to the fora.

• I think I had that for New Years one year, I slept for two days. - ingratogato Dec 28, 2016 flag

Ito/ita is normally used as a diminutive in aspects of word formation. So the following could be,

Un coche negro - A black car

Un coche negrito - A little black car.

• Now that is interesting! Would have guessed that the car, being the small thing, would be cochito/ cochillo our something akin, and that negro would be unchanged. - lenina Dec 30, 2016 flag
  • Oops cochecito! - lenina Dec 30, 2016 flag

While living in a small town in Oaxaca state, I had a good friend from Uganda (with very dark skin). She was popular in the town--everyone knew her and liked her friendly ways. Most townfolks called her "La Negrita" (and "Hola, Negrita" when speaking to her.) My boss at a university in Chile, a woman with black hair and olive skin, was "La Negra." It is used descriptively, and the diminutive form has a more affectionate sound (both women were around 50 years old).

In this context I'm sure it's being used as a term of affection. I have been called negrito before, and I've been told sometimes this is used even with people who do not have dark skin.

Negro is the color.... Negrito is a nickname in PR.....

El negrito/ la negrita is a term for "little black person", someone with dark skin. It's also a name for a tribe in Southeast Asia I think.

It can also mean black coffee in Venezuela.

If you want to say something is a little black in color/ shade, use "negruzco", which means "blackish".