I was introduced to this musician down on the coast of Juan Dolio, R.D. I love his music. I thought I would share this one for anyone who has daughters, especially if you are a dad with daughters. It is hard not to listen without a few tears welling up.

I was recently able to share my own experiences about having a father who was emotionally unavailable with many of the Dominican girls who don't even know who their fathers are or where they are. It is epidemic down there. Father's day is actually celebrated at the end of July in the D.R. We were able to get a few dads out with the promise of gifts, but not many showed. It was very sad. So this song has special meaning for me.

I will add the lyrics for any who can't pick up on the beauty of the words by listening alone. smile

For the women, please share any thoughts about your dad. And for the dads who have a magical princess or two....please share your thoughts. And please, please listen to the song first! smile

Princesas Magicas

Tengo dos excusas en mi mente para recortar mi día y a mi casa regresar, son un par de Mágicas Princesas con pijamas y con trenzas que juegan a ser mamá. Ya se han dado cuenta que soy débil y con solo una sonrisa pueden todo conseguir de mi corazón se han vuelto dueñas y me alegran la existencia con sólo en ellas pensar...

Entre gimnasia y la tarea van creciendo muy de prisa ay, ay, ay, las quisiera detener...

...Pero un día se irán de casa y entre sus cosas llevarán un pedazo de mi vida que jamás regresará, mientras tanto quiero darles tantas cosas, quiero darles tanto amor, tanta atención y enseñarles cada día su importancia su valor, quiero cuidarles... ...el corazón...

Son como un jardín en primavera que se viste cada día de belleza y esplendor son comos palomas mensajeras que el Señor mandó del cielo para hablarme de su amor...

• Thanks for sharing, Nicole. It's beautiful. - MLucie Aug 23, 2011 flag
  • Thanks Mlucie. I think one of the most beautiful things in life is a dad who loves and cherishes his daughters and lets them know their value and worth!!! - Nicole-B Aug 23, 2011 flag

In Mexico my greatest delight was letting the pre-teen girls feel like girls and not old women. We would throw tea parties for the girls in the orphange (2 years old to 13 years old) and that would be thier special day to be a Princess, wear pretty party dresses, eat off good china, and then run around and play and have piñatas and singing without the boys. These girls being in a orphanage, do not get expensive birthday parties, and most of the dresses are borrowed. But it never fails to bring tears to my eyes to see these girls who assume they are overlooked, light up as they are treated like princesses for a day.

• How beautiful! - Christina_Te Aug 24, 2011 flag
  • Great story and those girls are beautiful in their dresses!!! - Nicole-B Aug 24, 2011 flag
  • I just wish they could be princesses more often. - MLucie Aug 24, 2011 flag

I'm glad I have my helmet on .You cannot see my tears.

• A guy showing his emotions (within reason ;) ) is also a beautiful thing! :) - Nicole-B Aug 23, 2011 flag

One line from this song did strike me due to recent experiences:

un par de Mágicas Princesas con pijamas y con trenzas

We spent one Friday afternoon with a rather large group of teen-aged girls. We were asked to spend time with them, pampering them and making them to feel special. More importantly, we were asked to explain to them that they have value and purpose.

The word "trenzas" or braids in English was one of the words of the day. At first, the girls were shy about having their hair braided and their nails done. Then after one brave young lady stepped forward, we were swamped with requests for our specialties of "trenzas francés, trenzas reversas y trenzas de cola de pez. Not that any of those descriptions matter to anyone. The important thing was that with a little love, caring and attention, these girls starting smiling, laughing and participating. We were then able to tell them that they were created for a special purpose.

Many of these young ladies feel that there only purpose is to take care of their overburdened mothers with the younger siblings. The fathers are usually absent. That is the best case scenario. The other norm is for many to be prostituted out at ages as young as eleven or twelve.

So if you have the chance to let a young girl in your life know how precious she is do it today. And if ever given the opportunity to touch girls in countries where they are severely undervalued, please take that opportunity.....you will never be the same!!

Gracias Toothpastechica.

But it never fails to bring tears to my eyes to see these girls who assume they are overlooked, light up as they are treated like princesses for a day.

That is the reason why I am trying to shine a little more light on this topic. We occasionally hear or read things in the news about girls, who in this day and age are not being educated and have to assume the role of "mamá" way too soon.

When we were sitting there offering them a free day of love and attention in the D.R., it was as if they didn't want to believe or trust it at first. But after a sweet girl named Marlenis stepped up, the rest started to trust us and basked in the strange sensation of being pampered and cared for.....just because. smile

Thanks for sharing!

Just so those with sons won't feel neglected (I have one of those also. wink ), I also found this song "Cerca de Jesús"por Jesús Adrián Romero.

Cerca de Jesús

• Jason's latest thread made me think of this. :) - Nicole-B Aug 24, 2011 flag
  • I'm amazed he was able to keep his son that still through the whole song! - Nicole-B Aug 24, 2011 flag