This question "¿quiere saber cuándo va a morir?" is in today's Grupo Sipse headlines, and I didn't feel like any of the translations were accurate. The article was a "If you smoke and drink, you can expect to live so many years" kind of article.

Anyway, I'm thinking the correct translation is, "Do you want to know when you're going to die?" Is that right?

I didn't feel like any of the translations were accurate.

I agree with your translation. Just out of curiousity, whose translations were you talking about here?

You're right.

Yes, what you said was the exact translation. Since it's and article it is broadcast to a wide audience, where the reader is unknown. That is why the "quiere" usted form of Quierer, also know as the formal from is used as well as the usted form of "ir", that is 'va'. ¿Quiere saber Cuándo va a morir?

I'm quoting this quote that was quoted by Qfreed (jejeje) from wordreference.com regarding the "difference" between morir & morirse. (bolding mine)

Morir/morirse es un verbo especial. Las dos formas significan lo mismo porque nadie puede "morir la muerte de otro", todo el mundo muere su propia muerte, y cuando se dice que "alguien murió" es obvio que "se murió"; a diferencia de peinar/peinarse, ya que si digo "yo me peino" no es lo mismo que decir "yo peino", este último se entendería como que peino a alguien más, quizá lo que diría un/una peluquer@.

Gintar said (quoted from the DRAE):

"Con el sentido normal de ‘dejar de vivir’, se usa tanto en forma pronominal como no pronominal."

I agree with this. It appears that choosing between the two is a matter of preference, be it about the death of a person or animal or any other being that had a semblance of being alive, with one exception, again quoting from the DRAE:

solo si la muerte es violenta y ha sido provocada por un agente externo, no admite el uso pronominal

"..only if the death is violent and has been caused by an external agent, it doesn't accept the pronominal use."

Diccionario panhispánico de dudas ©2005 Real Academia Española © Todos los derechos reservados

Oh, our site's translators. I was wondering where you had read a translation.

While nacer is not used in reflexive, morir is.

¿Quiere saber cuándo se va a morir?

• According to RAE, "Con el sentido normal de ‘dejar de vivir’, se usa tanto en forma pronominal como no pronominal." - gintar77 Aug 20, 2011 flag
  • Hay que tomar en cuenta que estas explicaciones están en difinitivo, pero se usa la "se" ya conjugada la frase tratando de una persona - JulianChivi Aug 20, 2011 flag
  • This phrasing comes from an article in Spanish: http://sipse.com/noticias/117514--trucos-quiere-saber-cuando-morir-calculelo.html - gintar77 Aug 20, 2011 flag

Muchas gracias amigos.

Here are the three translations from our own site:

1. do you want to know when going to die?

2. Want to know when will die?

3. Do you want to know when to die?

Haha, my interest in this headline was because I thought, "Is this a fortune teller thing?" It turned out to be something more mundane, but still it's interesting to think that we can affect our due date by the choices we make. I guess. I think. I hope.

• Yeah, you should never rely on machine translations for anything more than a gist. They are not very good at given natural language translations. Nor can they distinguish context. - gintar77 Aug 20, 2011 flag
  • For example, the translation *could have been* "Does he want to know when he's going to die?" since the 3rd person conjugation can be he/she/it/you (formal) - gintar77 Aug 20, 2011 flag