On the word "mejor"... | SpanishDict Answers

From a tutorial (I believe on this site...) I was led to believe that "mejor" refered to the opposite of "joven" ... So I thought it referred to old age.

I see in page 66 of Madrigals that it refers to better, as in a patient got better.

"El paciente esta mejor"

Please advise,

Thanks much,

You have seen: mayor

Mayor means older.

Soy mayor que tú. I am older than you.

it is also used for the elderly,

Es una señora mayor.

How about "mayor" as an opposite of "joven?" I think that is what was intended...

(=de más edad) older

My book "Anda" says that mayor is the opposite of joven. Mejor means "better" or "best". "El paciente se mejora"

I think you are confusing mayor=eldest link text

and mejor=best link text

Just my thoughts but I am a beginner too.

• It took me too long to find the links. There was only one answer when I started :) - MaryMcc Aug 4, 2011 flag
  • Hey Wilbur! Same here... jeje... la reina española hadn't answered yet but lo & behold! :) - cristalino Aug 4, 2011 flag

I think you may be confusing "mejor" with "menor". Although "menor" is not the opposite of "joven", but rather similar.

OMG Thankyou Heidita!!!! Silly me. I got that confused. Oh how that was bugging me!