"field"=campo? email field" | SpanishDict Answers

I'm working on a website page that must be in Spanish. I'm altering the code from English to Spanish where there are obligatory fields to fill-in such as name, email etc.

I've got ** indica un campo obligatorio* Is "campo" in this context the equivalent of field? In English it would say * denoted a required field.

then:

*nombre

. *correo electrónico

. *tema

. *mensaje

Does that look like a normal email script? It's an email setup where the user can contact the website. Thanks in advance.

It's very funny that when we say words like "force field" we DON'T think of a field of wheat. We immediately think of a translucent, blue, glowing, electrical shield thingy. And, yet, the word "field" is definitely in there. Of course, here "field" just means "area" or "zone," but still...it's field, nonetheless.

I was watching a movie in Spanish and heard "campo de fuerza" and, for a brief moment, I was, like, "Really?" The translators must've misunderstood the English...they translated "field" too literally. Then I thought about the English "force field" for a second, and thought, "Oh, who knew?" We are ourselves saying "a field of force," so "campo de fuerza" makes perfect sense.

See, in my mind, "field" can mean so many things, but campo (in my mind) pretty much only meant a field where crops are planted. But, now, I know different.

• Very good! That's exactly why I'm doing a double-take on it, I can't quite believe that "field as in database is "campo" - lagartijaver Jul 31, 2011 flag
  • Probably because that is the first context we learn it in. - MaryMcc Jul 31, 2011 flag

In a form 'los campos' are the spaces you have to fill in, each item: name, e-mail, city, etc...

• Thanks I'm writing some code and translating some fields to Spanish I need to be sure "campo" is the correct term - lagartijaver Jul 31, 2011 flag