"What does gotta mean?" | SpanishDict Answers

What does gotta mean?

• ¡Bienvendia al foro, amiga! - sanlee Jul 29, 2011 flag
  • Denisse is a brand new member! Hi Denisse! - sanlee Jul 29, 2011 flag
  • Welcome to the forum. - SpanishPal Jul 29, 2011 flag
  • Welcome to the forum! - pesta Jul 29, 2011 flag

Well... it is colloquial...

One should say "have to"...

I gotta run to the store for some milk.

I have to run to the store for some milk.

I found this in another forum:

"También no puedes decir "I got to go" aunque se usa "I gotta go". Debes decir "I've got to go" o "I have to go"."

English speakers can be a little lazy wink So, we combine the words "got to" into "gotta".

"Got to" or "gotta" means one has do so something.

I have to get my computer fixed.

I got to get my computer fixed. --> I gotta get my computer fixed.

Please note that it is not proper English. While it is acceptable when chatting with friends or family, or in a text, IM, or e-mail to a close friend or family member, never ever use it in formal writing (such as an essay in English) or when talking to someone you want to show respect to (such as a possible employer in a job interview).

I think my literature teacher would fail her students if we ever put "gotta" on an assignment!

Here is a very helpful link!

• I totally agree Sonrisa :) it is not good English to say gotta but it is okay to use it with friends - FELIZ77 Jul 29, 2011 flag
  • "I got to get my computer fixed" should be "I've got to get my computer fixed" - samdie Jul 31, 2011 flag

It means that you need to improve your English. gotta=got to= have to (tener que, deber, haber de, etc.) It is substandard English.

• 'Gotta' is slang so it has nothing to do with improving his/ her Englsih. - SpanishPal Jul 29, 2011 flag

Es la manera en la que nosotros anglohablantes normalmente pronunciamos ciertas combinaciones de palabras en inglés conversacional. Pues, a veces escribiremos así para dar a nuestros mensajes un sentimiento más agradable en situaciones informales (una nota a esposa, un mensaje de texto, en foros de internet, en facebook, etcetera.)

got to = gotta (significa lo mismo que "have to")

going to = gonna

want to = wanna

have to = hafta

has to = hasta

what do you = whatchya o whaddaya

Tal vez haya otros aún, pero no me acuerdo de ellos en este momento. Y, si los escribimos así o no, sí es la manera en la que los pronunciamos salvo en ciertos casos de énfasis.

Es verdad que uno no debe escribirlos ni pronunciarlos así en ciertas situaciones formales (ejemplos: un papel para escuela, un discurso), pero lo normal es hacerlo.

Usar "got to" por "have to" sí es considerado inglés inculto (slang), pero está bien en situaciones informal y es muy común. Lo uso con frecuencia. smile

Espero que te ayude esto. Saludos.

• Hmm... But just because it is common makes it okay? Because it really is not proper English. I guess people who are learning should be able to understand when people talk like that, but I wouldn't want to make it sound like it is "okay" . - aquí_me_enc Jul 29, 2011 flag
  • A person will sound odd in normal conversations if they *don't* talk like that. It's not just okay, it is how someone should aspire to talk if they want to sound natural. - webdunce Jul 29, 2011 flag
  • I am a native speaker and I do not talk like that... even in normal conversations. I wasn't trying to be rude either (just so you know)... :) - aquí_me_enc Jul 29, 2011 flag
  • It IS true that using "got to" instead of "have to" should not be done in formal situations at all (regardless of how one pronounces it). - webdunce Jul 29, 2011 flag
  • Surely you at least say "hafta" for "have to", then, right? - webdunce Jul 29, 2011 flag

Es corto (irregular) para "got to" que significa "have to" (tiene/s/n que, dependiendo del sujeto)

Ejemplo: I gotta see this - Tengo que ver esto You gotta see this - Tienes que ver esto, etc.

Good question, Denisse! You will like it here. We have English lessons Aprender inglés and you can ask questions whenever you need to. This is a great site and it's absolutely free. No charge. It costs nothing. Have fun learning English!

Aquí put it (expressed it) very well when he said it should be ''I have to run '' (not gotta run)

It is good that you wanted to know /understand what the expression means

When considering using a colloquial expression in any language it is usually advisable to be be aware of how the phrase should be expressed correctly in the language you are learning so that you use it appropriately in an informal setting among friends and not in a formal setting like an interview where using it could leave others with a negative impression of your ability to communicate in their language and put you at a definite disadvantage You could lose that potential job offer, embarrass yourself and others at a formal social occasion like a wedding. In some cases you could even be turned down for a date with someone.

I hope this helps grin

It's just a mispronunciation of "got to" because when one is talking fast its easier to say gotta. But you can only use "got to" if you have a form of the verb "have" in front of it. Example:

Tengo que irme= I have [got] to go. In real life, most people just say "I gotta go".

Hope my answer made sense. smile

Need to: Nedda

I nedda get the heck out of here!

• L O L nedda??? is that like redneck talk? because i have never heard that one! - toothpastech Jul 29, 2011 flag

Un gracioso ejemplo más...

I really wanna help you with this, but, unfortunately, you're simply gonna hafta get used to it. I mean, you just gotta.

I really want to help you with this, but, unfortunately, you're simply going to have to get used to it. I mean, you just got to.

grin

Ah, that's a synonym for gutta. cheese