Spanish Guitar Chords??? | SpanishDict Answers

In English, basic guitar chords are A, B, C, D, E, F, G and the corresponding minor chords and 7th chords. On a Spanish website, they used Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Ti...I have never seen this before, what chords do these correspond to in English? Please help!

C = Do

D = Re

E = Mi

F = Fa

G = Sol

A = La

B = Si

Minor = Menor

Major = Mayor

Sharp = Sostenido

Flat = Bemol

That's all I can think of for now. You might want to check out this flashcard set for things that have to do with guitars.smile

There are two ways to do this. In the first way, C is always "Do"
But most people use a moveable "Do"' meaning that "Do" the tonic, in whatever key you are playing. For example, if you are playing something in the key of D, then D is the tonic note. Mi is the third (major or minor) and So is the fifth.

• Sol, not "So" :) - pesta Jul 26, 2011 flag
  • So if the key isn't specified, Do is C? - bailarina95 Jul 26, 2011 flag
  • True, Pesta! My music theory is good...my typing, not. - MLucie Jul 27, 2011 flag

A = Do B = Re C# = Mi D = Fa E = Sol F# = La G# = Ti

cheese Hope that helped!

Here's the definitive information you're looking for. It seems everybody has an opinion, and they don't all agree, but these articles should clear it up.

English: Solfège

Spanish: Solfeo

I have never seen this before, what chords do these correspond to in English?

I would like to add, the chord names in Spanish are from Latin, any student that has taken a basic music class will be exposed to them. J S Y K

• I've been exposed to them, I just didn't know what specific chord it relates to when used with guitar. Although...I probably should get around to a music class, I've been teaching myself. - bailarina95 Jul 26, 2011 flag
  • Do is Do, the name doesn't change and they are the same whether keyboard, guitar or whatever. - Jack-OBrien Jul 26, 2011 flag

A few more terms:

diminished= disminuida

augmented= aumentada

chords= acordes

inversions= inversiones

progression= progresión

bailarina95 commented:

So if the key isn't specified, Do is C? -

Do is always Do, whether or not the key is specified. I've been playing music for 45 years and I've never heard of a "moveable Do". In the studio, typically chord charts for songs are written in numbers, not in chord names. For example, instead of writing the chords of the song C, F, G, Dm and Am (or Do, Fa, Sol, Re-m and La-m), it would be written using numbers. The above sequence of chords would be 1,4,5,2m, and 6m, with 1 being the Tonic of the chord. Using numbers instead of chord names, you can instantly change the key up or down, you will be playing 1,4,5,2m,6m in the new key designation. Using this method, a musician can play in whatever key without having to rewrite the chord chart.

• Jack, I too, have been playing for over 45 years and have multiple music degrees. And although you've never heard of moveable Do, you just described it. It just means that Do is tonic. - MLucie Jul 27, 2011 flag
  • Regardless of key. - MLucie Jul 27, 2011 flag
  • I would say moveable tonic, because that's what's moving :~) - Jack-OBrien Jul 27, 2011 flag

Hi bailarina95.

You might find these charts helpful: Acordes básicos para la guitarra

You might also find useful the following discussion on the topic of Fixed vs. Moveable Do

The website teoría.com is also useful if you are unfamiliar with basic music theory. Here is a link to the first page of their lesson on intervals (There is an option for English near the top of the page if you would rather not read it in Spanish).