2

is it true that esposas in spanish mean ... wives and hand cuffs at the same time ? lol coool coincident if it is true smile

• conicidence :) - Kiwi-Girl Jul 26, 2011
  • lol just coincident kiwi girl :) - Amigooo Jul 26, 2011
  • I am not married though lol i am free from any cuffs :) - Amigooo Jul 26, 2011
  • I think there is more here than coincidence. See my post below. - Jeremias Jul 26, 2011
  • i just learned this this year, kinda suprised me, but if you consider that most of the spanish world is still male dominated...it kind of makes sence they would use that word.. - toothpastech Jul 27, 2011

1

I read once that the etymology of both these words is from the Latin word for "to bind". However, this seems not to be true. The etymology for esposa is the Latin sponsus, a spouse or fiancé.

I also was told once that in medieval times the wedding ceremony involved a binding of the hands of the bride, and that was the origin of the dual sense of the word. However I failed to verify this as well.

Either way, there is something revealing about the patriarchy of the medieval society, and the idea that a woman is but a possession, that one cannot help but notice in this dual sense of the word. Let's hope this world view progresses steadily towards being an echo, and not a reality!

Another world view that seems encapsulated in Spanish is that of esperar - to hope is to wait. Very Catholic, no? That your hope lies not in this world but the next, if you only wait.

• Jul 26, 2011

• wow that is very interesting to know . - Amigooo Jul 26, 2011
  • beside of course the wedding rings/bands in the fingers are presentation of such bond/cuffs - Amigooo Jul 26, 2011
  • Excellent point, Amigooo. - Jeremias Jul 26, 2011
4

It means both, though not necessarily at the same time. wink

• Jul 26, 2011
3

It makes sense in a way. An esposo(a) Somone with whom you are tied (handcuffed?) to.

• Jul 26, 2011
  • I will never have a problem remembering this vocabulary now. Thanks! - jwammo Jul 26, 2011
2

Esposo y esposa : marido y mujer . Husband and wife. Esposas = handcuffs Distinsto, verdad ?

1

how to say then in spanish that ..... I am cuffed to my wife ?

• Jul 26, 2011
  • estoy esposando a mi mujer o a mi esposa - porcupine7 Jul 26, 2011
  • gracias :) - Amigooo Jul 26, 2011
  • Hm...I would say "Estoy esposado a mi esposa." - webdunce Jul 26, 2011
  • Webdunce is right: "Estoy esposado a mi esposa" - nelson_rafae Jul 27, 2011
1

estoy no esposado y no esposa smile estoy divorco

• Jul 26, 2011
  • No estoy esposado y no tengo esposa.... ¡Estoy libre! - nelson_rafae Jul 27, 2011