Does "eres" in spanish mean you in English?

• Welcome to the forum! - sanlee Jul 26, 2011 flag

"eres" is the second person present tense of the irregular verb "ser (to be)" in the indicative mood. It means "you are". It's not to be confused with "estar".

Here's the Complete conjugation list of "ser"

• That's the definition link. - pesta Jul 26, 2011 flag
  • I'm still getting used to posting links... Thank you pesta :) - GuitarWarrio Jul 26, 2011 flag

Tú = you (informal)

Usted = you (formal)

Spanish, as a language, prefers to imply the personal pronouns wherever possible. So "eres" just means "are" but it is the form of "are" used only with "tú"; so, in most situations, one needs only say "eres," and everyone knows that the "tú" is implied.

We do this in English as well, just not as frequently. Imagine a husband coming home from work and finds a note from his wife, which says: "Have gone to store. Will be back shortly."

The husband will know immediately that the note means: "I have gone to the store. I will be back shortly."

In this case, the I is implied twice in the letter. Well, for Spanish, the norm is to imply the personal pronouns that are used as the grammatical subject of the sentence (yo, tú, él, ella, nosotros, etc.), which are usually used for emphasis of some sort.