2 Vote

Cuando hay dos opciones para el participio de un verbo en nuestra página de conjugación, ¿cuál es la diferencia entre las dos opciones? ¿Cuáles son las situaciones correctas para usar la primera opción por la otra? Un verbo que tiene esto es convertir (to convert): dice que convertido (como normal) y conconverso trabajan como el participio de convertir. ¿Cuándo debo convertido por conconverso?

Un otro ejemplo es imprimir que significa "to print": el diccionario dice que imprimido e impreso (como normal) son correctos.

3 Answers

2 Vote

The site is wrong: the past participle of "convertir" is "convertido". The word "converso" is related, but it is a noun (or adjective), not a past participle (at least, not in modern Spanish). However "imprimir" has two past participles: "imprimido" and "impreso", so both "he imprimido" and "he impreso" is fine, but as an adjective, only "impreso" is used (e.g. "documento impreso")

La página es incorrecta: el participio de "convertir" es "convertido". La palabra "converso" está relacionada, pero es un adjetivo (o sustantivo), no un participio (al menos no en español moderno). Sin embargo, "imprimir" tiene dos participios: "imprimido" e "impreso", así que tanto "he imprimido" como "he impreso" son correctas, pero como adjetivo solo es correcto "impreso" (p. ej. "documento impreso")

  • So if there exists two participles, the only way to know the correct usage is to look in the dictionary to see which is the correct adjective form? - 0074b507 Jul 10, 2011 flag
  • Oops! I inadervtently added a P.S to your post, rather than my own. - samdie Jul 10, 2011 flag
1 Vote

The word "conconverso" does not exist in Spanish, so it must be a mistake in the dictionary.

Can you give another example of where there are two different choices for the past participle?

1 Vote

In English this is fairly common. Usually involving what are called "strong" verbs. e.g. "sneaked"/"snuck" or "lit"/"lighted" We recently had a question about this in Spanish. I thought that the verb in question was "romper" but our conjugation table lists only "roto". The RAE, on the other hand, also has an entry for "rompido" (which it labels as "Del part. desus. de romper" [obsolete]).

P.S. "romper" is (with respect to the English) a reverse example, since the irregular past participle has superseded the "regular" form. Nonetheless, the principal is the same.

Answer this Question