papacito means little dad? | SpanishDict Answers

my husband and I (both caucasian) are having an argument about the "ito" at the end of words in spanish. He thinks that it denotes something small. I said it does not mean that in papasito, that it just means papa or daddy. who is correct?

"ito" can denote a small version of something, but it can also give a feeling of endearment to something and especially someone. In this case "papcito" is like saying "dear dad."

-ito3, ta.

1. suf. Tiene valor diminutivo o afectivo.

It may denote small things: casita, cochecito, panecito, trenecito...

And it may denote affection, endearment: hermanito (brother), abuelita (grandma), tiita (auntie)...

Papacito and mamacita mean also a young handsome and gorgeous man or woman. It is a compliment. But some women can find it offensive:

--¡Adiós, mamacita!

--¡Mamacita tu abuela!

--¡Mamacita, tú me gustas para esposa!

• I saw a lot of this from my telenovela "research"... the 20-year old mistress calls her older lover "papacito" and I've seen the guys call their ladies "mamacita". In your examples, what does "tu abuela" mean? - relente Jul 4, 2011 flag
  • "tu abuela" is idiomatic. In English we might say, "my foot!". - pesta Jul 5, 2011 flag
  • Exactly. I did not know that phrase: "my foot", it sounds very funny! :-) - LuisCacheux Jul 5, 2011 flag

I have heard Caribean Latinos in the U.S. (Dominicans and Puerto Ricans) use "papacito" and "mamacita" towards children. This appears to mean, "little man" or "little woman." Sometimes it is also shortened to, "papi" and "mami."

I would have said daddy.

Its a compliment, this kind of word applies to very good looking woman or man. Girls could say "papacito" to Brad Pit and men can say "mamacita" to Jenifer Lopez. But, at least in Mexico telling "mamacita" is not welcome for any woman and probably is the must used word girls receive for men in the street by bricklayer.

Or you could say Papi.

Bear in mind that "Daddy" and "Mommy" are, themselves diminutive forms (to denote affection/informality).