What is the spanish name for Gary? | SpanishDict Answers

Im trying to find out what the spanish name for Gary is like Joseph is Jose

I have been told it was Gregario but I'm not 100% sure.

No, Gregorio is the Spanish form of Gregory. (My name. Goyo is a shortened version of that, used in many countries.)

Gary is an English surname transferred to forename use, originally a short form of Germanic names containing the element gar, meaning "spear."

As Lazarus said, there is no direct Spanish equivalent, but there are several Spanish names with "spear" included in the meaning:

Berenguer: Spanish form of Latin Berengarius, meaning "bear-spear."

Geraldo: Spanish form of Latin Geraldus, meaning "spear ruler."

Gerardo: Italian and Spanish form of Old High German Gerhard, meaning "spear strong.

Gervasi, Gervasio: Spanish form of Latin Gervasius, meaning "spear servant."

Óscar: Spanish form of Old High German Ansgar, meaning "god-spear."

Rogerio: Spanish form of Latin Rogerius, meaning "famous spear."

Sounds like some good choices to me. Though remember, in reality you're Gary wherever you go. smile

• Well Greg would have been my thought also but I remember someone telling me that for my name - Yeser007 Jun 19, 2011 flag

Joseph is a Hebrew name, shared by many countries, while "Gary" is a Germanic name, popular only within Germanic-speaking countries. There is no equivalent in Spanish, that I know of.

• Well ther you have it, Lazarus would know this. As for me, Gary is Gary in any language. - Yeser007 Jun 19, 2011 flag
  • Except when it is short for Garfield as in Garfield Sobers - great West Indian cricket player. - ian-hill Jun 19, 2011 flag
  • Hehe....seems you are unique Gary ;) Ian you like cricket :O I went to a West Indies vs India cricket match two weeks ago. Sir Garfield is very famous here. He was from Barbados. - HotChickCD Jun 19, 2011 flag