When do you use 'son' and 'estan' and 'soy' and 'estoy'? | SpanishDict Answers

I do not know when to use the two words. I'm am learning Spanish thoroug Rosetta Stone and have no one to ask. One example I can give for soy/estoy is Qu esta haciendo? Estoy leyendo. Quien policia? Soy policia. Not sure if I have this right.

Well, that answer is easier in English.

When do you use am or are or is?

This gives you clues as to how Spanish verbs are conjugated and it should be a good model for everybody. grin

• Exactly. English speakers often seem to forget that their verbs change their ending in the third person singular (they add an -s) and "to be" is still fully irregular. - lazarus1907 Jun 1, 2011 flag

The best answer you'll get is to go through the lesson on this site about it smile

Will someone else vote on her question so she can send PMs? I'll help her out with RS if I can.

Estar is used to express geographic or physical location. ie: Donde estas? Estoy en la escuela. Donde esta Toronto? Toronto esta en Ontario.

Estar is used with adjectives to express a state or temporary location. Como estas? Yo estoy bien. Come esta la leche? La leche esta fria.

Use estoy when you are telling your location or how you feel. ie: Yo estoy bien or simply estoy bien.

Use "soy" when your are telling your profession, religion or gender. ie: Estoy in la iglesia. ( I am in the church) Estoy in Chile. ( I am in Chile)

Soy catolica. ( I am catholic) or Soy americano. I am american.