Santana's 'Maria' - chola or chula? | SpanishDict Answers

I've looked at the different lyrics websites. Some show 'chula', some 'chola'. The context is that he's singing to a woman that he loves and admires: "ahora vengo mama chola/chula". I have found mistakes many times on lyrics websites. I don't trust them. Which word is it?

"Mama Chola" is a goddess of the " Palo" religion.

I think the song addresses or speaks to "Mama Chola" the goddess. The Palo religion has African roots and arrived to Cuba and the Antilles with the coming of the slaves. The cult was carried to the U.S. as the Cubans and Haitians arrived to New York. This song speaks about a Spanish Harlem girl.

The work of Santana in the album "Supernatural" where this song was released, is a mix of Latin, African and Caribbean rhythms. This context seems to confirm my opinion.

• Thanks Agora. This information is fascinating. - Intense May 31, 2011 flag

The word is chula.

• chula= cute, beloved, beautiful. In México. - Dakie May 29, 2011 flag
  • La letra de la canción ( contenida en el CD de Santana "Supernatural") dice chola, no chula. - Agora May 29, 2011 flag
  • Thanks to all for the information. It sounds like he is calling his lover a goddess. - Intense May 31, 2011 flag

Creo que "chula" significa "cute" en ingles, un poco como "bonita," En cambio, la palabra "chola" significa "mestiza" or medio blanca- medio indígena. No conozco la canción de que Uds. hablan, así que no puedo dar una respuesta definitiva.

Chola Wengue (also known as Mama Chola or Chola Nengue) is the mpungo who rules over rivers, beauty, money and love. She is associated with sensuality and the fluids of the body. Mama Chola, Chola Wengue’s common Spanish-language name, means “Mother Chola”; a reference to her maternal, feminine energy. Mama Chola is seductive, sensual, and flirtatious but she can turn bitter when crossed. She holds a grudge for a long period of time and lashes out her revenge in the form of destroyed relationships, blood-born illnesses and sexually transmitted diseases. By contrast, worshippers that treat Mama Chola with respect and love are generously rewarded with unending riches, happiness and love. Her colors are yellow and gold and her ritual number is 5. Animal sacrifice is used to propitiate Mama Chola within Congo-derived religions. Altar offerings for Mama Chola include honey, oranges, pumpkins, and champagne, and they are usually left at the river bank. In the syncretic practices of Palo Monte, in which mpungos are associated with Catholic Church saints, the representative of Mama Chola is Our Lady of Charity. Because of their shared traits, Mama Chola is sometimes syncretized with the orisha Oshun. Hoodoo psychic readers, spirit workers, and root doctors who are adherents of the Palo religion and who petition the mpungos on behalf of clients may petition Mama Chola for love and marriage, money, and gambling luck, blessing, fertility, cleansing and uncrossing.

Chulo in Spain means many things....

• Pimp: The whores pay to their pimp - Las putas pagan a su chulo

• Cocky: Do not know to write an english example fot this word - John es muy chulo, siempre acaba peleandose con alguien

• Cool: I bought a shirt so cool - Compre una camisa muy chula

• I didn't know there were so many meanings. I know a few of the slang ones. Pero no se los voy a decir aqui! - Daniela2041 Nov 6, 2014 flag