Edad del pavo | SpanishDict Answers

One of my favorite songs from Joaquin Sabina mentions "la edad del pavo". How do you refer to that particular stage in everyone's life when you do it in English? I know some could say "the teen years", "adolescence", but that doesn't imply the real meaning of the Spanish way, all the changes you go through, mental, physical, hormonal, etc,.

Youth, or teens.

Yes, when they are at an "awkward" age.

Recent studies of neural development focusing on the amygdala, the anterior cingulate cortex, and spindle neuron density have confirmed that adolescents have their brains removed by space aliens and replaced with a playdoh-like substance for a period of 4 to 12 years, after which the aliens put the original brain back. Unfortunately, the aliens are not always able to track everyone down.

In English, I don't think there is an equivalent. "La edad del pavo" is perfect! Here, we might say, "The pangs of adolescence", or, perhaps, "the Holden Caulfield years" (referring to the hero of the American archtype for adolescence, the protagonist of "The Catcher in the Rye" by J D Salinger).

I have been told that these awkward years in men lasts from about one to seventy. Mind you, this was said by a woman.

• My husband claims that his started shortly after he was born and might end shortly after he dies! - Lector_Const May 24, 2011 flag
  • Did she address the significance of no discernable difference in women? - lorenzo9 May 24, 2011 flag