What are some Mexican Slang Words/Common Idiomatic Expressions | SpanishDict Answers

I am interested in learning Mexican slang/idioms. Please list some slang or expressions you know followed by 1. Area of Mexico that it comes from. 2. English translation. 3. Example Sentence.

Thanks Max

Hola cuate - Hey there, friend

¿Vale madres? - Who cares?

¿Que tienes? - Do you have a problem (with something in context)?

¿Trae bronca o que? - As above, but stronger.

¿Aguila o sol? - Heads or tails?

Creerse muy muy - to think oneself really great, to be conceited

Cada oveja con su pareja - Everyone is most comfortable with his own group

Cada changa a su mecate - sort of the same

Tal para cual - To each his own.

Me da ñañaras - It gives me the creeps

Me dejó plantado - He or she stood me up

Por si las moscas... - Just in case

Sígueme el corriente - play along with me on this

Me hago balas - I get all mixed up

No friegues - Don't complain

No tiene chiste - Not a big deal

I think the above are pretty common throughout Mexico.

• Lol, you're pretty good at softening up some rude phrases. - DJ_Huero May 24, 2011 flag
  • I don't use phrases that I think might be rude, but if I'm with a friend I might say, for example, "Podria haber dicho... (cualquiera frase), and usually my friend would be happy to talk about la jerga. - Jeremias May 24, 2011 flag
  • Oh, ok, just putting that out there, lol. Vale madre could lose you a job if you didn't know better. Jaja - DJ_Huero May 24, 2011 flag

Let me suggest a wonderful book for you:

The Street-wise Spanish Survival Guide: A dictionary of over 3,000 slang expressions, proverbs, idioms, and other tricky English and Spanish words and phrases translated and explained.

There is a complete chapter dedicated to Mexican slang.

I always believe it is necessary to know words that are not necessarily proper to use so that a person knows what is being said, not necessarily employing these words in their every day conversations.

Well, I practically live in Mexico, so I know plenty of phrases. Not all of them are bad, but I think to follow the rules, it'd be best for you to just go here to find many modismos mexicanos. grin

Note: There is language inappropriate for young and immature audiences available on this site and that is why it has been linked instead of said here. If you are young or just plain ol' immature, please refrain from accessing these resources located here.