Why do so many people,including Mexicans,think "Mexican" is a bad word? I Love It.It's sexy! | SpanishDict Answers

Why do so many people,including Mexicans,feel that Mexican is a BAD word??? My husband is from Mexico,and he hates when people say that. Why??? I am Italian,so maybe I don't understand.But I do love the word Mexican,it's hot!!! Please explain.

• Mexican woman are sexy, and no it's not a bad word. =) - DJ_Huero May 4, 2011 flag
  • Absolutely! - pacofinkler May 4, 2011 flag
  • Ey compa, I think i'm going to have to come stay down there awhile pa' que me puedo encontrar una mexicana pa' mi. ;-) - DJ_Huero May 4, 2011 flag
  • You may just have to make the trip one day DJ. - pacofinkler May 4, 2011 flag

"Mexican" is not a bad word. The only problem occurs when ignorant people mix up or bundle everything Latin American with Mexican. When they are unable to recognize that there are important cultural differences, and different identities between the various Hispanic countries.

It is also a problem when all that people know are the obnoxious stereotypes. Being Italian you know very well what that's all about: people who think that Italians are all mafia-related criminals, or fat with greasy hair; all the men with handlebar mustaches, and everyone eats pizza and spaghetti.

Italian stereotypes

Mexican Stereotypes

• Nice answer Gekko! - Yeser007 May 3, 2011 flag
  • well i love pizza and spaghetti_but if someone says Cuban, Puerto rican - sandrareiner May 3, 2011 flag
  • Is that guy black, Mexican, or Italian? Nope Jewish. - jeezzle May 3, 2011 flag
  • tooo funny!!! how cute! - sandrareiner May 3, 2011 flag

Well I'm Mexican and so I want to give my point of view. (But first I apologize for any misspelled word. I'm doing my best.) Personally I don't feel it's a bad word. I'm quite proud to say I'm Mexican, and I think most of you are right saying it has something to do with stereotypes. I guess that when a Mexican thinks that it's a bad word it's because they have forgotten the beauty of our country, they just need to remember that. alt text

• Cabo, I wanna be there!!!! - Yeser007 May 3, 2011 flag
  • getting my vote marexi, welcome to the forum - 00494d19 May 4, 2011 flag
  • Is that the Teatro de las artes, above which I went to 42 years ago ? I do not know that beach scene but it looks stunning.n - ray76 May 4, 2011 flag
  • Ray, the beach is the "Lands End Arches" in Cabo San Lucas. - Yeser007 May 4, 2011 flag
  • Edited for capitalization and one missing letter, you did fine! Names of nations and nationalities are capitalized. - Yeser007 May 4, 2011 flag

Maybe it's the "poor immigrant" stereotype associated with Mexicans in the USA.

Aw Gee ! Gekko you have me worried now. I luuuuuuuuv Pizza , I am sometimes a

little paunchy, I definitely have criminals in the closet , along with nefarious

other unmentionable "objets des artes", I do have greesy hair however ,

but I do take it off at night and wash it thoroughly . Now remarks from a

'sometime lady friend" have me worried , she has been known to refer to me as

"Malcolm the Midnight Mexican" I thought this was in reference to my habit of

hollering "Olay " and "Caramba" at appropriate moments of the evening , but now

I fear she may have been casting nasty nastercions at my forbears, not to

mention my antecedents . From now on I shall put away my spurs, Sombrero and

hide the chilli peppers , not that I mind being referred to as Mexican , on the contrary I am proud to be so called , but the "Malcolm " was bad for my image , a Malcolm I am not. Raymondo el Rápido , is more me.

• jeje, very funny ray, at appropriate moments,yeah , you wish...:P:P:P jejeje - 00494d19 May 4, 2011 flag
  • Heidi, you would be amazed at what a man can do after a feed of Chilli peppers, or even when appropriately anointed. - ray76 May 4, 2011 flag
  • Oh, I looove pizza! Nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with enjoing the US style of mega-burritos, which bears little resemblance to the humble Mexican snack with the same name. That's all fine. The problem is when your conception of any given... - Gekkosan May 4, 2011 flag
  • ...nationality is based solely on the stereotypes created around that culture. I know that *you* are the stereotypical Aussie, with the corks around the brim of your hat, the open shirt, all the Mates and G'Days, and lots of crocs and roos in your... - Gekkosan May 4, 2011 flag
  • ..backyard. But then again, like the Paul Hogan character, you *are* larger than life! ;-) - Gekkosan May 4, 2011 flag

I live in a town with a lot of Mexican and Mexican-America folks. Many of them don't like to called Mexican, especially the kids. It may be that they consider themselves straight up American.

• well-i live in America but, i still call myself Italian. We need to be proud of our genetic makeup. - sandrareiner May 3, 2011 flag
  • It´s also cultural. Sometimes people confuse not stereotyping with not giving credit to our cultural heritages. - Sihara May 3, 2011 flag

In my part of the country, many racist people assume that all Mexicans are illegal immigrants who have no right to anything, and so when someone is called "mexican" it is taken as an insult.

• i am part of the country too, thanks to my grandparents.my husband was illegal for many years and so were everyone else who is not native american.so tell them to get over it and do a little digging to find out where they are from! - sandrareiner May 3, 2011 flag

Mexicans in México do not feel that way.

I would compare it to the influx of Irish people during the turn of last century. They came here in large numbers looking for a better life and work (similar to many Mexicans). What they found were many prejudices from the "natives" and they became ostracized by much of society. Some people even changed their names in order to sound less Irish or not Irish at all. However, now-a-days, many of those Americans with Irish heritage are proud of their roots. To me, the same cycle seems to be happening with Americans of Mexican descent, but this is purely something I have taken note of on a personal level.

• Even in Austraila we had Greeks that came for a new life and their was a lot of prejudice angainst them as well as anyone who was not white. - mim1111 May 4, 2011 flag

Some times people are offended. I am an Australian. We, as a country, worked so hard to prove to people that we are not a country of criminals. My Great Great Great Great grandfather was a convict. He cam to Australia on the second fleet. he could not read or write yet look at me. I am typing on a computer. People think that we live in bark huts, say G'day, and have ride kangaroos everywhere. We would not do that because the kangaroo would bash us up and we do not want to end up in hospital.

• Hi mim and welcome to the forum! - sanlee May 3, 2011 flag
  • Well, Ray does say "G'day", but then again, he's a bit perverse. :) Welcome Mim! - Gekkosan May 3, 2011 flag

Welcome to the forum Sandra, I have no idea!

Hi Sandra. Welcome to the forum. You can unaccept that answer if you like and maybe you will get some more answers. Have a good evening.

Sandra, why don't you unnaccept me, I promise I won't be offended. Jeezle is absolutely right.

I'm colombian and I'm very proud when somebody say it. If I would be mexican, I would be vvvvvery happy and proud for that.

• Correction: "I'm Colombian and I'm very poud when someone says it. If I were Mexican I would be very happy and proud of that." :) - NickDan May 3, 2011 flag
  • it was cuter the other way :) - sandrareiner May 3, 2011 flag
  • True, but Sandra, this is a learning site and we are all encouraged to make corrections. - Yeser007 May 4, 2011 flag
  • Thank's! I really appreciate your help :), Sometimes I don't know when to use Someone or Somebody. - 00a4c226 May 4, 2011 flag
  • Somebody and someone both mean the same. It is ok to use either. - petecable May 4, 2011 flag

Seems to me that, sadly, it must be the effect of other people's prejudices against people from Mexico.

A tragic reflection of the consequences of the fact that certain human beings seem incapable of accepting any differences from what they perceive as'" normal".

It has then 'rubbed off' on some Mexican people themselves.

Marexy's answer should be given many badges for being excellent!

From England to Mexico with love. smile

I'm a mexican, and we are now having great troubles dealing with a wave o violence in a large part of the territory, due mainly to the organized crime and drug dealers. This news have spread worldwide, and I guess we now have a poor image abroad. Mexicans may be associated with rampant crime, violence, drug traffic and so on. These are bad times for us, but I hope we will overcome this black period of our recen history.