my husband from mexico introduced me as mi mujer and not esposa. did he call me his wife or his woman? he better have called me his wife!!!help me translate.

if my husband introduces me as mi mujer-is he calling me his wife or his woman(like a girlfriend?)___________________ i thought esposa means wife in spanish? y or n

• Pleaser remember that correct spelling and capitalization are mandatory on this site, welcome to the forum:) - 00494d19 May 3, 2011 flag
  • i didn't know i was being graded.soooo sory-oh,sorry! :) - sandrareiner May 3, 2011 flag

I would say it's a loving humor. Mujer means woman, but in this statement, he is obviously showing commitment to you. Just like you could say he is your Hombre (man). grin

• well that makes it a lot better.and sweeter!thanks. - sandrareiner May 3, 2011 flag

Mi mujer. Mi señora. Mi esposa. Are all correct but the last two are more appropriate (formal)

I will never use Mi hombre so..... only Mi esposo.

• I'm sure you mean "mi", without the accent. - Azabache May 3, 2011 flag

I am going to agree with DJ, that the term is normally used in a fun, loving and protective way. I would guess is is quite proud of you.

Even in English, there's more than one respectful word for wife. Maybe mate, spouse, etc... So it isn't surprising that "esposa" was not the only choice in Spanish.

MUjer and esposa in this context are the same thing, he was calling you my wife.

Please use correct spelling on this site, thankswink

• Heidita.... MUjer....? Todos cometemos errores de vez en cuando! ;) - marilo63 May 3, 2011 flag

Just a note: If he calls you Mi querida You should worry All the other words (esposa, mujer, Señora) estan bién.

• Why querida? That's kind of like, my sweetheart/desire.... jaja regional thing maybe? - DJ_Huero May 3, 2011 flag
  • "Mi querida" without adding something else, means adultery. But "mi querida mujer" or "mi querida esposa" or else, is sweet. - Agora May 3, 2011 flag

I tend to call my wife "mi señora". She'd rather I said "mi esposa". She says that "mi señora" sounds antiquated, and therefore I make her feel older when I say that! grin

"I tend to call my wife "mi señora". She'd rather I said "mi esposa". She says that "mi señora" sounds antiquated, and therefore I make her feel older when I say that! "

I agree Gekko, esposa sounds so generic and formal. I mean, I would say, "hey homie or bro, this is my spouse", grammatically there's nothing wrong with it, however socially, you'd look stupid. tongue wink Hopefully this example puts it into perspective for some Spanish learners.

I can only speak of México:

"My wife" is understood as the female that married a man.

"Mi mujer" is understood in our country as the female that fullfills the husband

I prefer to be called "mi mujer" by my husband instead of my wife, because wife only expresses the tie beetween us, however "mi mujer"encompasses the sensual part of the relationship.

But of course, this a matter of culture.

Yes, esposa means wife but mujer can also mean "wife".

wink

I watch a Spanish soap opera. Husband & wife = marido & mujer most of the time. Chill.

Oh my, looks like your husband has made an error in judgment.

Not by calling you "mi mujer", though, as you can check that it (also) means "my wife" by consulting any dictionary, including the one on this site.

• How did he make an error than? Lol, I hate cliffhangers... ;-) - DJ_Huero May 3, 2011 flag
  • It is not an error, in México, saying "mi mujer" instead of "mi wife" is more intense and sexy. - Agora May 3, 2011 flag