Please tell us how you say prices in your country, especially in Spanish speaking countries. | SpanishDict Answers

I am picking this up from this thread, very nice question, Joelgrin (Please vote for his thread!!)

So, I would like to know what formula you use to say prices in your country. It is probably completely different from one country to the other.

Since the Euro (€) was installed in Spain we say:

3.80€ = Tres (euros) con ochenta.

We sometimes say the "euros" word, but not often..

So:

120,30 € = ciento veinte (euros) con treinta.

We do N O T say the céntimos bit.

186,33 € = ciento ochenta y seis con treinta y tres.

1988, 47€ = mil novecientos ochenta y ocho con cuarenta y siete

So, how do you say pricesgrin

• When I was there it was the peseta with the Caudillo's picture on them. Of course that was before Juan Carlos took over. - dc-alien-z May 2, 2011 flag
  • 3.80 euros is surely 3 euros ochenta not noventa - ValenciaVal May 2, 2011 flag
  • hehehe, she got you Heidi! - Yeser007 May 2, 2011 flag

USA:

$ 1.98 = a dollar ninety-eight; or one ninety-eight; or a dollar and ninety-eight cents.

$10.57= ten fifty-seven, or ten dollars and fifty-seven cents.

• I agree that "one ninety-eight" and "ten fifty-seven" is most common here. - --Mariana-- May 2, 2011 flag
  • I think Cashiers typically used the shortest forms. Also I like to say this answer depends on speed of interaction. I would use ten dollars and fifty-seven cents when talking in causual enivorment while ten fifty-seven instead a bank,restaurant ,mall - Tasear Dec 26, 2011 flag

In Northern England, where I live, we tend to just say, for example, 'two, ninety-nine' for 2 pounds and 99 pence - ie we very rarely actually use the terms 'pound' or 'pence'.

• Do you use "quid" in the North? - fontanero May 3, 2011 flag
  • And what about "P" for pence. "Two pounds ninety nine P" I do't like that. :) - ian-hill May 4, 2011 flag

usually you only use euro or cent when it's single

.50c - fifty cents €4 - four euro

€4.50 - four fifty

thats in Ireland anyway

Not an answer because I'm in the U S and I think Goyo has it pretty well covered but I'm curious about the comma and decimal point since Heidi used both above. Oh , here's something Goyo didn't mention. We often use the term buck for dollar which comes down from sawbuck which I will let someone like Samdie explain later, I have to get to work.

$1="a buck", $1.50="a buck fifty", $5= "5 bucks" and so on.

• Crud Gary, you took mine. :) I was going to say this as well. :) Have a great day!! - Jason7R May 2, 2011 flag
  • I know a sawbuck is $10 from reading old literature but I never heard anyone actually use it. Do you use it in New England? - Sabor May 2, 2011 flag
  • No, just the buck. I'm not even totally familiar with the origin of the sawbuck. - Yeser007 May 2, 2011 flag
  • Yeah, I remember I used to say I have 5 bucks. Hmm... I didn't know that there was origins to the statements - Tasear Dec 26, 2011 flag

In Puerto Rico, being a US territory, the currency is the US Dollar. Nevertheless, Puerto Ricans insist on calling it "peso".

$100 - cien pesos $50.45 cincuenta pesos con cuarenta y cinco chavitos

$0.38 treinta y ocho chavos

$46.27 Cuarenta y seis pesos veintisiete.

(Lots of people do say dollar, specially for documents and formal occasions, but on the street and everyday language, it's peso)

• The Puertorricans here in NY do the same. I find it infuriating. - samdie May 2, 2011 flag
  • wow, pues sabes, en españa sobre todo la gente mayor, sigue diciendo pesetas, pero lo vuestro es divertido, jejej - 00494d19 May 3, 2011 flag

In Mexico the smallest coins in use are worth 5 cents, and in fact they are rarely used. So we seldom use figures such as 0.32 or 0.78. Such quantities are used only in economical reports. In day to day operations, we normally use multiples of 10 cents: 10, 20, 30... For example:

$12.50 = doce cincuenta (o doce con cincuenta)

$298.80 = doscientos noventa y ocho ochenta (o doscientos noventa y ocho con ochenta)

$112.45 = ciento doce cuarenta y cinco (o ciento doce pesos y cuarenta y cinco centavos)

We use points to separate the cents, but in Spain and other countries are used commas.

• True enough but I got a 1 centavo coin in change the other day, very odd. - pacofinkler May 2, 2011 flag

The OED gives the (as one of the meanings) for "sawbuck":

Ten dollars; a ten-dollar note. Also double sawbuck In allusion to the x-shaped (Roman x = 10) ends of the sawyer’s buck: cf. also buck n.8 dollar.

P.S. The sawyer's buck referred to is a kind of saw-horse with two x-shaped members joined by a horizontal member. The log to be sawn is place across the upper portion of the two X's (the bottom portions serving as "feet" to support the whole).

• Thank you Samdie, I knew you would come to the rescue. :) - Yeser007 May 2, 2011 flag

Bolivianos

or

Pesos (Pesitos) it make them sound less grin

South Africa - not a Spanish speaking country, but definitely worth a visit smile Our currency is the ZAR or South African Rand, our exchange rate is currently around seven rand to the dollar. Unlike the dollar the rand doesn’t have a plural.

R1 – one rand, R2 – two rand

R100 – One hundred Rand etc.

R5.40 – would just be five rand forty, or in some cases five rand and forty cents

So our cents work in the same way as they do in America. And like in Mexico our smallest coins are 5c which are used quite often. Prices are often R99.95 or R10.95.

So now you know a bit about South African currency, it’s a beautiful place so consider it for your next holiday!