2

How do you say Go with God ?

• Bienvendia al foro. Welcome to the forum. - 0074b507 Apr 23, 2011

4

Que vaya con Dios = (I hope that) you go with God. But if you're wanting to say it as a command, it would be:

Vaya con Dios - formal; Ve con Dios - informal.

3

Freddy Fender said it pretty good a long time ago.

link text

3

In English it is " Goodbye" Old English , " God be with Ye "

Ray, "God be with ye" is late Middle English. That sentence in Old English is:

God þē mid sīe

Which literally is "God you with may-be". The word "þē" is "you" in accusative or dative, and the letter thorn (þ) is read as "th". "Mid" is like "mit" (with) in German, and "sīe" is the present subjunctive (yes, true and fully conjugated subjunctive) of "bēon" (to be), like in modern Spanish (but with the verb at the end, like in German) "Dios esté contigo".

• Wow... - chicasabrosa Apr 24, 2011
  • And double Wow from me . Thank you my friend , I was too lazy to check whether it was Old or middle English . - ray76 Apr 24, 2011
  • Don't need to check: if it sounds like English, it is middle English. If it looks like a foreign language, it is Old English. - lazarus1907 Apr 24, 2011
1

Adios, good-bye, literally means, "to God."

• Apr 24, 2011
1

But if you're wanting to say it as a command (which, to me, would be rather odd),

Do you also find "Go in peace." / "Go to the Devil." / "Go to h*ell." (all commands) odd?

• Apr 24, 2011
  • Why do you feel the need to be rude? I meant saying Go with God as an explicit command would be a bit odd, when one would say Que vaya con Dios, which means (I hope that) you go with God. And no, saying Go to h*ll as a command would not be odd, (c) - Azabache Apr 24, 2011
  • because one would mean to be rude and impolite when saying it. - Azabache Apr 24, 2011
0

Therefore Goodbye.

• Apr 24, 2011
  • I've heard several farewells that have religious overtones. The one I personally hear most often is : Get the Hell out! - 0074b507 Apr 24, 2011
  • That sounds very USA , we do not say that , although i must admit we do have other , and dare i say more colorful sayings. - ray76 Apr 24, 2011