How is "ya" used in Spanish? | SpanishDict Answers

I'm confused by when to use 'ya' in Spanish.

This little word is very complicated and depending on context has different meanings. Here are a few,

Ya - Already

Ya - Now

Ya - Right now

Ya - Later

Ya - No longer

Ya - Also used for emphasis, ex, Ya lo sé - I already know

No ya - Not only

Ya que - Now that

Ya que - Since

Good question and answer. I'll recirculate it.

click

One other use I've heard is when it means "that's it," or "there you have it," or "you're done/set."

For example, "Le pagas quince dólares al hombre en efectivo, y ya" would be "You pay the guy fifteen dollars in cash, and that's it/there you have it/you're done/set."

I'm pretty sure this is just shorthand for "ya estás (or any conjugated form of "estar"), which roughly translates to "there you go/you're set."

One more example, "¿Quieren más pan"? "No gracias, ya estamos". Do you want more bread? No thanks, we're set.

Good answer Eddy. And then there are the colloquial expressions....... tongue wink

• And then there are the... - samdie Apr 23, 2011 flag
  • Thank you. Sheesh, I hate making stupid mistakes when I'm typing.... - Jack-OBrien Apr 23, 2011 flag