1

I'm confused by when to use 'ya' in Spanish.

1

This little word is very complicated and depending on context has different meanings. Here are a few,

Ya - Already

Ya - Now

Ya - Right now

Ya - Later

Ya - No longer

Ya - Also used for emphasis, ex, Ya lo sé - I already know

No ya - Not only

Ya que - Now that

Ya que - Since

• Apr 23, 2011

1

Good question and answer. I'll recirculate it.

click

• May 23, 2012
1

One other use I've heard is when it means "that's it," or "there you have it," or "you're done/set."

For example, "Le pagas quince dólares al hombre en efectivo, y ya" would be "You pay the guy fifteen dollars in cash, and that's it/there you have it/you're done/set."

I'm pretty sure this is just shorthand for "ya estás (or any conjugated form of "estar"), which roughly translates to "there you go/you're set."

One more example, "¿Quieren más pan"? "No gracias, ya estamos". Do you want more bread? No thanks, we're set.

• May 23, 2012
0

Good answer Eddy. And then there are the colloquial expressions....... tongue wink

• And then there are the... - samdie Apr 23, 2011
  • Thank you. Sheesh, I hate making stupid mistakes when I'm typing.... - Jack-OBrien Apr 23, 2011