3

Hola Amigos, I´m looking at the website of the Museo de Flamenco and I see the following:

25/04/2011 al 29/04/2011

NAMASTE

Encuentro de Flamenco y Danzas del Sur

I can't find this word in a dictionary. What does "namaste" mean here? Thanks!

• Sir, i very simple terms it means that "the divinity within me, salutes the divinity within you". Accordingly, the hands are held enjoined close the heart, that is regarded as the centre of divinity within the human being, - ashokcee Apr 23, 2011

4

I guess it means Hello! wink

• Apr 23, 2011

• Ah, thank you!! - chris126 Apr 23, 2011
  • De nada ;) - Gocika Apr 23, 2011
6

Gocika is right: Gypsies come originally from the south of India, and their original language is related to Hindi, so it makes sense to use a Hindi greeting for a Flamenco meeting, a form of Gypsy art.

• Apr 23, 2011
4

Sir,

in very simple and comprehendable terms, "Namaste" means :

"The divinity within me, salutes the divinity within you".

God created us in His image and unlike other living beings; as per Hindu belief, a small portion of His image resides within our ethereal bodies. Being centered close to our beings, it is therefore, that while greeitng someone with a 'Namaste", the hands are held enjoined, close to the heart.

Hence, seeing every other human being whom one greets with a "Namaste", the hands are held close to heart. This unique greeting, fosters love and reagrd for every human being, nothwithstanding their station in life.

Every human being, hence, having a very small but intrinsic portion of the Divine, is therefore regarded in Hindu belief as being an equal, bearing within him/ her, an indestructible spark of the Divine Light.

Since one is on the subject, please also be aware that dubbing of Indians as "Hindus"and hence, of the major religion here as "Hinduism" is a legacy of what the Portugese colonisers had dubbed Indians as. The religion is in fact is "Sanatan Dharama"" (The Eternal Religion) rather than "Hinduism"which Spanish more than any other language quantifies.

Regards Ashok

• Apr 23, 2011
3

In the world of Buddhism, we say "Namaste" as both a greeting and salutation. It translate to something like "The light within me wishes peace and happiness to the light within you."

Generally, we do this with our hands pressed together and do a little bow toward the person we are greeting or saying goodbye to.

• Apr 23, 2011
3

Namaste is also the second-person past-tense indicative singular of the verb "namar," a word which I just invented which means "to give a silly answer in a spanish language forum."

Example/ejemplo: ¿Namaste en spanishdict.com? Sí, namé.

• Apr 23, 2011
  • Jajaja...funny! - --Mariana-- Apr 23, 2011
  • :-) Me has namado. - chris126 Apr 24, 2011
  • Jajaja! No dejes de namar! - Deanski Apr 24, 2011
1

Thanks for all the great answers. It turns out that the museum is highlighting the influence from India on flamenco during this time, hence the greeting/salutation on their website and in their literature. Museo de Baile Flamenco

• Apr 24, 2011
  • I think that's what I said about Gypsies coming from the south of India. - lazarus1907 Apr 24, 2011
  • Yes, very much so, Lazarus. It just took me awhile to figure out what the museum was saying/advertising. Thanks again for the answer! - chris126 Apr 25, 2011