"Me gustaria teñirme el pelo rojo or quisiera teñir mi pelo rojo....".. | SpanishDict Answers

How can I say I would like to dye my hair red?

Either way is fine, if you say "de rojo"

"teñirme el pelo de rojo"

"pintarme el pelo de rojo"

"colorearme el cabello de rojo"

"ponerme un tinte rojo en el pelo / cabello"...

Take you pick!

• I agree: anything, as long as it is "el pelo" and not "mi pelo". - lazarus1907 Apr 22, 2011 flag
  • Cierto. ¿por qué es eso? ¿Por qué nos referimos a nuestro pelo como "el pelo", no "mi pelo"? - Gekkosan Apr 22, 2011 flag
  • I've always heard "mi pelo" in conversation, from people of all walks of life, including college professors, TV announcers, etc; - 002067fe Apr 22, 2011 flag
  • Wait, I think he meant when you use "teñirme" ("me" ending), "mi pelo" would be redundant, which I agree with. - 002067fe Apr 22, 2011 flag
  • Lazarus is a she? I didn't know, I apologize. - 002067fe Apr 22, 2011 flag

Is this a more emphatic statement when you use "quisiera" than "me gustaria"?

No. Ok, let's see if we can explain this without getting any more confusing.

I belieive that, as Tom suggested, Lazarus comment must have referred to the expression "Quisiera teñirme mi pelo de rojo".

If you say teñirme, you have already incoporated the "mi" element in the reflexive, so you don't need to say it there.

Quiera teñirme el pelo...

Ok?

Now, Tom argues that you can say "quisera teñir mi pelo de rojo.

I don't believe it is incorrect, but it also sounds... odd, to me (nor sure why). Where I live, people usually say "quiero teñirme / pintarme el pelo".

You know? In English the common expression is "I want to dye my hair ..."

If we said: "I want to dye the hair, it wouldn't be grammatically incorrect, but it would sound strange, and we wouldn't be sure which hair we mean. We could also say: "I want to dye the hair on my head", which would clarify the confusion, but still would be weird. Get it?

How about the following sentence?:¡ Es mi pelo y si me gusta, me voy teñirlo de verde!. -

You cannot say "me voy a teñirlo" (me voy means I'm leaving). You have three options:

"y si me gusta, voy a teñirlo de verde" or,

"y si me gusta, voy a teñírmelo / pintármelo de verde", or

"y si me gusta, me lo voy a pintar / teñir de verde".

• Very good explanation. - Eddy Apr 23, 2011 flag
  • When I used "me voy a teñirlo ..."I thought I was saying "I am going to...".Thanks for the correction. - faliron Apr 23, 2011 flag
  • Common and understandable confusion, I know. So, "voy a..." is what you use when you mean "I am going to do this.." - Gekkosan Apr 23, 2011 flag

"Me gustaría teñirme el pelo de rojo" I would like to dye my hair red.

"quisiera teñir mi pelo rojo...." I would like to dye my red hair.í

• In the first sentence "de"is grammatically what ? and thanks. - faliron Apr 22, 2011 flag

Me gustaria teñirme el pelo de rojo.

Quisiera teñirme el pelo de rojo.

Both are correct, although to me, the second one sounds a bit too formal for me (but it may be normal in other countries). In any case, never "mi pelo".

• Curios about what exactly? - faliron Apr 22, 2011 flag
  • Because it would suggest that the hair would is not part of your body. Maybe your English is too good to realise. - lazarus1907 Apr 22, 2011 flag
  • What is a "hair would"? And no, I completely disagree. But I think your defensiveness and snark is keeping you from admitting when you could -I said could, by the way-be wrong, amigo. - - 002067fe Apr 22, 2011 flag
  • I understood Lazarus' comment differently. I suggest that when in doubt, we resort to PM to clarify our statements. Hablando se entiende la gente, ¿no? Thanks guys! - Gekkosan Apr 22, 2011 flag
  • I still don't see how my English being "too good" would affect my ability to realize how the usage of a Spanish word is or isn't accepted. But you are right... - 002067fe Apr 22, 2011 flag

Hi, faliron. Don't forget it's "quisiera", not "quiseria".

Me gustaria teñirme el pelo rojo = I would like to dye my hair red

Quisiera teñir mi pelo rojo or teñirme el pelo rojo= I want to dye my hair red.

smile

Lazarus commented

Because it would suggest that the hair would is not part of your body. Maybe your English is too good to realise. -

Tom Burgos commented

What is a "hair would"?

I believe I and anyone who is supposed to be fluent in the English language realises that this was a typing error made by Lazarus. What Lazarus meant was,

Because it would suggest that the hair would not be part of your body.

Or

Because it would suggest that the hair is not part of your body.

• I believe I and anyone who is supposed to be fluent in the Spanish language realises that "Quisiera teñir mi pelo rojo" is perfectly fine to use. - 002067fe Apr 23, 2011 flag
  • Is this a more emphatic statement when you use "quisiera" than "me gustaria"? - faliron Apr 23, 2011 flag
  • How about the following sentence?:¡ Es mi pelo y si me gusta, me voy teñirlo de verde!. - faliron Apr 23, 2011 flag
  • OK, suppose this person is holding a wig when asking the question? - Lector_Const Apr 23, 2011 flag
  • @Lector: That's easier, because then you have a clearly defined third party: "quiero teñir esta peluca / mi peluca de rojo" - Gekkosan Apr 24, 2011 flag