what is the difference between "estoy" and "soy" and "yo"? | SpanishDict Answers

what is the difference between "estoy" and "soy" and "yo"? i didn't exactly understood the diffrences between every word.

Estoy is the first person of the verb estar, which is irregular. Estoy would mean "I am". Soy is the first person of the verb ser, which is irregular also. Soy would, too, mean "I am".

There are two differences here though. Whilst ser and estar mean "to be", both verbs are used to suite different contexts.

In English, we must think of how "to be" is used. For example, if you're saying "I am a lawyer" then you're talking about your occupation, but if you're saying "I am ill", you are talking about a physical state of yourself. The "I am" meaning is different in both instances. It is the same in Spanish.

As a general rule of thumb, I was always taught to use ESTAR with a temporary state, e.g "Estoy enfermado" (I am ill), or "Estoy aquí" (I am here), because both of these are not always going to apply. You are not always going to be ill, and you are not always going to be there/here.

This is NOT exhaustive though! ESTAR is used with non-temporary states too!

SER is more permanent, but does carry its own specific uses. For example, "Soy piloto" (I am a pilot) or "Soy de Peru" (I am of/from Peru).

A useful article is located here:

http://www.spanishdict.com/answers/100040/ser-and-estar

which I would suggest you take a look at smile

hasta luego

Yo=I. It is a subject pronoun and unlike in English where saying "I" is necessary, in Spanish it is not necessary because the way the verbs are broken down (conjugated), they already indicate who is doing what.

(Yo) Estoy=I am (in the state of) (Estoy trabajando, for example)

(Yo) Soy=I am (Yo no soy marinero, soy capitán)

There are many rules for the use and difference of Ser and Estar. Consider looking for other threads on here that explain them.

All three words would be used when a person is talking about himself. That is how they are alike. They are different in that two are verbs and one is a pronoun.

as they said!! yo means " I " , yo estoy conjugated from Estar and estar is used for physical and feelings discription, and short-term adjectives. por ejemplo: estoy en la casa, estoy cansado, estoy feliz, estoy soltero, estoy contigo

yo soy conjugated from Ser and ser is used from personality description and others, por ejemplo soy colombiano, soy alto, soy Alejandro, soy un buen chico,,many other example hope i have helped you