Do you "watch" (mirar) tv or do you "see" (ver) tv? | SpanishDict Answers

In English "see" and "watch" have different meanings. To "see" is refers to either something that happens for just an instant or by chance, passively,"to see an old friend", "to watch" would require intent and generally happens over a period of time. To see your neighbor sun bathing is one thing but to watch him/her sunbathing is kinda weird and rude. So which is considered to be more correct: "ver la tele" o "mirar la tele"? I have only been taught these two words, ver- to see and mirar- to look at, are they both used to mean "to watch" as well?

I also don't get why you say in spanish you "see" TV rather than "watch" TV. Ver and mirar. To "see" something usually occurs by accident or coincidence "watch or watching" is intentional as to see a shooting star while watching the sky.

If you continue trying to compare both languages word by word, you had better do something else...don't learn languages...A N Y language for that matterwink

Ver la tele is correct and en esté momento estoy viendo la tele, at this moment I am watching the television. Me gusta ver la tele. I like to watch the television.

In Mexico, both are used. I suppose it's the same as in English with some people saying "To look at TV" and others saying "To watch TV."

You can examine the two words under a grammatical micoscope all you want but in the end when people use either ver or mirar la televisión, they are saying the same thing.

• Look at TV sets, when planning to buy one, for example, BUT watch TV programs - bassagui Apr 9, 2011 flag
  • sometimes I am in a world of my own whereas I am looking at the television but not actually watching it and digesting what is going on. - kenwilliams Apr 9, 2011 flag

http://www.spanishdict.com/answers/185669/why-use-deportista-for-athlete-when-it-actually-means-sportsman-and-atleta-means-athlete

Following a reasonable and well argued position, natives "never" make mistakes in their own language.

En español, se usan las palabras «ver» y «mirar» de una manera que concuerda con la lengua que les dio origen. Es decir que su uso refleja la manera de hablar propia de español y no de inglés. Claro, en español la palabra «ver», tal como la palabra inglesa «see», quiere decir «percibir algo por medio de la vista», no obstante, se usa, también, para significar «observar, mirar, examinar o considerar algo». Por otro lado, la palabra «mirar» quiere decir «dirigir la vista a un objeto». Te pregunto, al sentarte enfrente de la tele ¿simplemente fijas la vista en la tele? es decir ¿simplemente miras a la tele? o ¿la miras atentamente, observando los programas que están en ella? es decir ¿ves la tele?

Como siempre, corregid mi español, por favor.