If i was... I would | SpanishDict Answers

Im used to the clause involiving the past subjunctive and conditional. ..

So for example, "si estuvieras alli, seria tan feliz".

But as I understand, even though that is past subjunctive, it is used for present events.

the seria reffers to the present, i would be happy NOW.

But what if I wanted to say that if you had been there (presumably same first few words - si estuvieras alli) I would have been happy THEN (in the past)?

Would it remain seria tan feliz. Would it perhaps be hubiera sido or habria sido?

Thanks.

• To know that the subjunctive is correct we must know that this is contrary-to-fact (that your were not actually there/ or unlikely that you will be there) - 0074b507 Apr 2, 2011 flag

Si hubieras / hubieses estado allí, habría sido muy feliz (If you had been there, I'd have been happy)

I think it would be something like: "Si estuvieras allí yo habría sido feliz."

"If you were there, I would have been happy."

First you need to get the subjunctive in english right: If you were there, I would be happy. Now think about it: were is a past tense. And it's the same in spanish. So "Si estuvieras allí, sería tan feliz" is correct.

And for the "if you had been there, I would have been happy" is definitely in the past tense, using the subjuctive/conditional. So i the second part would be "habria sido"

I myself am studying the subjunctive right now, and sorry in advance if anything is wrong; I will probably be corrected somewhere, but hope this helps smile

subjunctive if clause

I'm too lazay to cut and paste part of the article as the formatiing gets messed up. See this section of the article above.

Also note this under the Tips suggestion.

Use of the past tense (“spoke”) in the “if” clause to indicate a present/future situation. (“If you spoke [right now]...”).

If I were (past) .....referring to present time (right now)