3

I know that "es" = "is".
I'm somewhat confused about the word "esta".
I believe "esta" means different things, depending on how it is used, correct? One way of using "esta" is when saying one thing is near to another thing (according to the dictionary).

In lesson 1.9 - House and Directions the word "esta" is used in sentences such as the following: El baño está entre el dormitorio y la cocina. (The bathroom is between the bedroom and the kitchen.)

However, two of the three translator programs came up with the following translation: El baño es entre el dormitorio y la cocina.

Which is correct?

Gracias!

• Welcome to the forum, :) - 00494d19 Mar 31, 2011

1

Estar is used for locations (except for the location of an event). However, make sure you include the accent "está", without it the meaning and pronunciation changes.

• Mar 31, 2011

• it would be great if SD included the Spanish accent marks on the Answer section. That is why some of the words do not have them on my statement. Gracias! - Gillygaloo Apr 1, 2011
2

Hi and welcome to the forum.

two of the three translator programs came up with the following translation:

Don't trust the translators to be 100% correct, especially with something like "Por vs. Para" and "Ser vs. Estar" choices.

El baño está entre el dormitorio y la cocina.

• Mar 31, 2011
1

Make sure to check this compilation on ser y estargrin

• Mar 31, 2011
0

i made a thread for this a little bit ago thread

for if you want to type the spanish letters

0

I think the best way to explain it is to go to learn, spanihs 1, and the ser vs estar. This will help you a lot because I had same question. Hope it helps! cheese

• Mar 31, 2011
  • | Edited by Ashi12 Mar 31, 2011