Is a "plátano" a banana? | SpanishDict Answers

im confused because i was wondering if a "plátano" is the correct word

• Please remember to use proper capitalization and punctuation in your posts. Thanks! - --Mariana-- Mar 27, 2011 flag

In my experience, a "plátano" is different than a "banana" (México) or "banano" (Guatemala). Bananas are usually sweet right off the tree, but plantains are only sweet when they are very mature.

The English language borrowed this word from... Spanish! (which, in turn, borrowed from an African language). The word plátano was borrowed from Greek.

• so how would i say it in spanish because my teacher said a platano is different from the American banana - 0201001 Mar 27, 2011 flag

I have spanish speaking friends and they said the word they use for banana is el guineo. El platano is a plaintain and they dont use any form of the word banana.

• Interesting. Where are your friends from? - --Mariana-- Mar 27, 2011 flag