is it more common to say Feliz cumpleaños or Cumpleaños feliz? I have heard it both ways.

I have always heard it said, Feliz Cumpleaños.

• Same here although I have seen Heidi and a few others use a shortened form: Feliz cumple - FELIZ77 Mar 27, 2011 flag

Feliz Cumpleaños!!!

Feliz cumpleaños!

I believe that it should be ''Feliz Cumpleaños'' when used as a birthday greeting for wishing someone a Happy Birthday although I have seen our beloved Heidi and some others shorten it to ''Feliz cumple'' but never cumpleaños feliz.

I know that in the Birthday song it is sung as ''Cumpleaños Feliz'' but I think that that use would be considered a form of poetic/artistic licence to enable the words to fit in with the music. Many other languages have/use similar creative ways of adapting lyrics to fit the music. Infact many Spanish and English lyrics make use of idiomatic expressions to communicate ideas, and they may also change the normal word order in Spanish as in English.I have done so when writing rhyming verse in English

I hope this helps

• I agree, especially with the words-fitting-in-with-the-music part. Typo on artistic.:) - Deanski Mar 27, 2011 flag
  • THanks Deanski :) - FELIZ77 Mar 27, 2011 flag

Well in the "Happy Birthday" song they sing Cumpleaños Feliz. If that's any help to you. However, I am sure one would be correct in saying either.