how do you say ing? | SpanishDict Answers

I want to know how you would say ing. For example: cooking, racing, having...

• Just in case Izanoni´s reply below is not what you are looking for. In Spanish you cannot use the -ing forms (iendo / ando) to make nouns (gerunds) as we can in English. - ian-hill Mar 19, 2011 flag

It depends, but one thing that you should realize is that the Spanish "gerundio" is not the same thing as the present participle (-ing form of a verb). Because of this, any answer to this question really depends on the structure of the sentence involved. For example, in English we have what is called a verbal noun which can take either the form of the infinitive or the gerund (-ing verb). In Spanish, however, the infinitive is the only form that can be used (i.e. you cannot use the Spanish "gerundio" to serve this purpose):

► Es divertido leyendo leer → It's fun to read/Reading is fun.

Caminando es divertido. → It's fun to walk/Walking is fun.

It is interesting to note that, historically, Spanish did once have a distinct present participle (typically ending in -ante, -ente or -iente), the remains of which can be seen in such words as durante, mostrante, trayente, amante, among others. Some of these words (such as mostrante and trayente) even retain some verbal characteristics in that they are able to take a direct object.

In any case, one way in which the Spanish "gerundio" is similar to the English present participle is in its ability to form progressive tenses and to be used adverbially:

Progressive Tenses:

►I am walking → Estoy caminando

►I am reading → Estoy leyendo

Adverbial Usage:

►El niño entró por la puerta corriendo → The boy came running through the door.

►Un día por la mañana, leyendo el periódico, vieron su foto. → One morning, (while) reading the newspaper, they saw his picture.

• Very good explanation!! - 001a2987 Mar 19, 2011 flag
  • Izanoni....I looked up grammar in the dictionary, and it had a picture of you. - 0043ad50 Mar 19, 2011 flag

To add -ing, in Spanish the suffix is -ando.

Like if to walk is caminar, walking is caminando.

Please excuse my lack of accents, if I'm missing any. oh oh oh oh

the "ing" part of the English verb has the "equivalent" in Spanish depending on how the infinitive of the verb is written. AR verbs (e.g. andar to walk) end in "ando" andando IR verbs (e.g. vivir to live) end in "iendo" viviendo and ER verbs (e.g. coser) end in "iendo cosiendo note must be made that there are irregular verbs as well that don´t follow the general rule. confused

The infinitive is sometimes used for verbs ending in -ing in English. Gracias por ayudarme. Thanks for helping me.

Yes, yes, yes! It's all about CONTEXT!

In the present progressive, using a form of Estar and the iendo/ando endings is very fun. (I am cooking, etc.) Using -ing words like nouns, as we do in English, sometimes translates better into a Spanish infinitive. Some examples?

Estoy tratando aprender modales y practicar la cortesia. (I'm trying to learn manners and practice courtesy.)

No es facil a correr en la arena. (It's not easy to run in sand/running in sand isn't easy.)

Estoy aprendiendo muchas palabras nuevas en espanol.

(I'm learning many new words in Spanish.)

But: Learning (something) is so fun... Aprender una nueva idioma es muy divertido...

I'll betcha there's a lesson on this in Learn Spanish.... perhaps begin with 1.12....

Are you asking what it sounds like? I can don't think I can describe it. If that's what you want maybe someone else can.