I wanted to do one of the flashcard tests, but I could only get a few points because I couldn't get the question mark at the beginning---as well as the accents and tildes---in fast enough.

Control panel, languages select.

After you have selected Spanish as an available language, the key + will be ¿

Or you can use a Spanish keyboard and the position of the key will still be the same as +

Tildes ...... [ key with Spanish selected on the English keyboard.

• I have added Spanish as an available language but I didnt get the inverted ? Julian I do not know why?/whta I have done wrong - FELIZ77 Mar 15, 2011 flag
  • Paul,try the tilde/quote key while in Spanish language. I don't know why, but some keyboards react differently - JulianChivi Mar 15, 2011 flag

One of our members, Vikingo, created his own small computer programme for making all the Spanish accented letters, inverted question marks (¿), and inverted exclamation marks (¡) and other characters.

Here is what Vikingo had to say about his programme:

Run this ... . Vikingo's "Spanish.exe" You'll have your characters available within 10 seconds from clicking the link. It doesn't require any slideshows or instructional videos, though there is a help screen that pops up when the program starts. Type your Spanish letters by using the windows key + the letter in question (like win+e for é, or win+q for ¿), or press ctrl+space for a menu where you can choose all kinds of international characters. So ctrl+space and then x will give you ¡.

Here is the "Windows" key Vikingo refers to. On a windows keyboard, it is located to the left (and sometimes also to the right) of the spacebar. It is the key between " Ctrl" and "Alt".

I have used it for almost two years. It is simple and easy and I've added it to my startup list so it is seamlessly in place every time I re-start my comouter. Pay attention to the opening prompt which asks if you want to use the shortcut keys. Read over the very brief instructions and perhaps make a note of them for your first couple of times you use them. After that it is a real "piece of cake".

If you want to use this program, remember to 'Save' it to your computer and not to just 'Run' it when the 'File Download' window is opened.

If you wish to look at alternatives, SpanishDict has a reference page with instructions for setting up your keyboard. That reference page is here ----> How to Type Spanish Characters

• Does that work for laptops, too? To get special characters I have to press Fn+alt + the code number, eg Fn+alt +164 - dharrispdx Mar 15, 2011 flag
  • I found one very strong indicator that Vikingo's program works on laotops. See this reply "http://www.spanishdict.com/answers/8140/how-do-i-type-spanish-accents-using-a-laptop#a40689" - Moe Mar 15, 2011 flag
  • If it does not work, having it on your computer will not hurt anything. Just do not use the program. - Moe Mar 15, 2011 flag
  • Thanks, Moe :) Yes, it works on laptops, as long as it's running Windows. - Vikingo Mar 15, 2011 flag

˙noʎ dlǝɥ ʇou uɐɔ ı ʎɹɹos ɯɐ ı ʇnq uoıʇsǝnb ʇɐǝɹƃ ɐ sı ʇɐɥʇ

• Okay, how did you do that? Just showing off your acrobatics with letters? - JoyceM Jun 13, 2011 flag
  • There are subroutines written by bored programmers that do things like that. - 0074b507 Jun 13, 2011 flag

It's best to buy a Spanish keyboard and select Spanish as one of your computer's languages. That way you can see where all the Spanish characters are located and write quickly and easily with tildes, punctuation marks, etc... It's easy to switch between and English and Spanish as needed. They're not expensive. If you've got a laptop, usually you use a USB port.

• As a matter of fact, there's never any need to switch back to the English layout, as every character that you need for English is already on the Spanish Keyboard! My keyboard is always in Spanish layout. - Gekkosan Mar 15, 2011 flag
  • Very true, but because I touchtype, I sometimes need to switch back, because, colons, question marks, symbols like aruba are in different places. - Encalada Mar 15, 2011 flag
  • thank you. when I go to add Spanish, it isn't listed as an option and I don't have the key. All the mSFT programs were preloaded and I don't know if I have the documentation I need. Can I download Spanish for Vista from somewhere? - dharrispdx Mar 15, 2011 flag
  • I know they have the language packages on microsoft's update page and you can download them from there. A techie might be able to give you better advice. - Encalada Mar 15, 2011 flag

Hold alt, press 0191

Important: use the numbers on the numpad section of the keyboard, NOT the numbers above the typing letters.

I used to have the same trouble. One work-around that I have found works quite well, although perhaps not as fast as you might like it would be to open up an answer box in Spanish Dict and copy and paste the inverted (upside down question mark) in the flashcard answer boxes as and when you need it You can experiment with it

I hope that someone can give you an even better solution grin

you hold "alt" and "shift" then press the question mark key.

• for some reason that is not working - AeryFaery Mar 15, 2011 flag
  • I tried that too, and it didn't work. - Gillygaloo Mar 15, 2011 flag

I too find it frustrating to take the tests. I lose many points not because I do not know the answer, but rather because it is so time consuming to use the accent marks and tildes, etc. Sometimes I watch the clock tick down waiting to see the picture which has not yet appeared as I have slow internet.

I find that the following program works really well on Windows: Spanish-Accents

It makes the Caps Lock key (pretty useless key for most people) into a sort of shift key. When you hold down caps lock and press a, you get á. Caplock + ? = ¿. And so on.

there is also an outline of some other methods on that web page.