I've just been called a Chusma (jokingly!) by a colleague for looking at someone elses screen...she said she doesnt mean it as riffraff / vermin etc but she can't say what she means clearly...what is she trying to say?

• Just out of curiousity, have you asked her how to spell it? 0.o - DJ_Huero Mar 10, 2011 flag

I agree with Eddy on this one.

Where I come from, and I understand that the meaning is the same in Mexico, "chusma" is used to refer to "low class" people. The best English equivalent I can think of is "riff-raff"

Sorry, I missed your comment about "riff-raff" and "vermin". Nevertheless, that is what it means to me.

It can also be a busybody or nosy person--I'm sure she said it "en broma," though!

If she didn't mean to say that, then I have two ideas:

1.- She did mean to say chismoso (gossip) for looking at the screen.

2.-Sometimes people yell at the dogs meaningless and sometimes non-existent words like that trying to say "go away".

I agree with Luzbonita, and i'll take it a step further by saying, you could probably even consider it a synonym to Metiche. Metiche means "nosey". Hope that helps. smile

Dakie has it for "nosey" "chismear"

But now take yourself to DRAE and check out "chusma" and you will find a completely different meaning. not very pretty really. Keep in mind that so many of these can be taken lightheartedly among friends.

Lets hope she wasn't cuban. This is from the "Urban Dictionary" so I don't know how correct it is.

Originates from Cuban Spanish. Refers to a "lowlife", a cheazy (cheap & sleazy) person, someone with little or no class who often dresses the part, as well - using big, gaudy, overly showy clothing & accessories. "Mira a ese reloj chillon que lleva Cuco. Y mira como habla con boca grande y con tanta vulgaridad. Que gente mas chusma!"

"Look at that big, gaudy watch Coco wears. And look at how he goes around talking all big and with such vulgarity. What a lowlife!" chusma maleducado(a) lowlife cheasy cheazy ghetto

Chusma

Vulgar word in the "Cuban" spanish Language. Eres una chusma.

Meaning...you're a wh**e,sl*t,etc.

• I have a Cuban friend I work with (she's sitting next to me), and confirms this. It is NOT a bad word however, it's just insulting to call someone that. =) - DJ_Huero Mar 10, 2011 flag

Well, I know one used to describe Argentinians, but it's kind of chusma itself. I'll PM it to you for safety purposes. Jeje...

I found one less severe... lol... and it's an Argentinian word so she'll be impressed you know it. "boluda" which is like idiot or jerk, BUT the cool thing is, it specifically says on the web, it's commonly used to joke around with friends. smile

You might even get a kick out of this...

• Awwwwww! c'mon tell me also DJ! - pacofinkler Mar 10, 2011 flag
  • I'll PM you too, lol, I don't want to get flagged. jaja - DJ_Huero Mar 10, 2011 flag
  • I work with a variety of cultures at my job in case your curious where I come up with all this. I'm not a "chusma". ;-P - DJ_Huero Mar 10, 2011 flag
  • Boludo(a) is indeed a good retort for an Argentinian in this case. Please don't try it with people from other cultures, though! - Gekkosan Mar 10, 2011 flag
  • The cartoon may be taken as offensive by some, so it should be clarified that it plays on a long-standing rivalry betwen Brazilians and Argentinians. Obviously this one is a Brazilian dig agains the Argentinians. Not nice though!! - Gekkosan Mar 10, 2011 flag

In Mexico 'chusma' refers properly to a group of people, a group of bad mannered people, and not to a particular person.

The DRAE says:

chusma.

(Del genovés ant. ciüsma, y este del gr. κέλευσμα, canto acompasado del remero jefe para dirigir el movimiento de los remos).

1. f. Conjunto de gente soez.

2. f. Muchedumbre de gente vulgar.

3. f. Conjunto de los galeotes que servían en las galeras reales.

4. f. Am. Conjunto de indios que, viviendo en comunidad, no eran guerreros, o sea mujeres, niños y viejos considerados en conjunto.

5. f. despect. Arg. Persona chismosa y entrometida.

6. f. despect. coloq. Cuba. Persona de modales groseros y comportamiento vulgar.

But then notice than in Argentina the term is used as synonim of nosey or gossip or meddler. And in Cuba means a lowlife person.

Nice, anyone know any creative insults I can say back to her? She is small and Argentinean if that helps! Nothing too mean!

• Aha! revenge eh! better an Argentine answer that one! - pacofinkler Mar 10, 2011 flag