Last night after bowling, I was trying to be "cool" so I said to my Spanish friend,"Hasta luego". He turned and said "that's not correct". He said I should say somthing like"nos ver.... ......". I couldn't quite hear the rest of it as I was walking out. But he made it sound, in almost uncertain terms that "Hasta luego" wasn't even a word. HELP PLEASE!

• Welcome to the forum, :) - 00494d19 Mar 10, 2011 flag
  • Sorry for the confusion folks. What he actually told me was"nos bemos" - dyrkacz Mar 10, 2011 flag

Interesting response from your friend. There are multiple things you can say when leaving a "night out with the gang" and "hasta luego" is one of them as well as "la próxima", "nos vemos", "chao/ciao", etc. I'm sure others will weigh in on this!! smile Have a great day and I hope this helps get the post started!! wink

Jason is right, hasta luego was maybe not the perfect choice, but it is perfectly valid.

You normally use hasta luego to mean: see you laterwink

So here we could have said:

hasta mañana, nos vemos, te veo

"That's not correct" appears a bit extreme to me. He might have meant that it's not customary among his circle of friends to say that, these days.

I hope I'm right, because otherwise I will begin to doubt just about everything I've learned from Spanish textbooks over the years. confused

Hasta luego... o hasta pronto, o hasta cualquier...

• Pesta, I gree it seems a bit extreme. Well, I think that the friend is simply saying that is not the usual pharse we would use in this situation but as Heidi pointed out it is an equally valid one It means see you later . the friend probably prefers to - FELIZ77 Mar 10, 2011 flag
  • ...use: nos vemos so it maybe a matter of personal preference as well as regional variation :) - FELIZ77 Mar 10, 2011 flag
  • Pesta, language is constantly evolving so we need to be developing our knowledge base on current usage by natives not simply on textbooks alone which can become out of date in less than 2 years - FELIZ77 Mar 10, 2011 flag
  • correction: usual phrase - FELIZ77 Mar 10, 2011 flag