diferencia entre make and do

• Good question, also if you can help me please with the difference between done and made I will appreciate it a lot. :) - Dakie Mar 6, 2011 flag

"To Make":

• to bring into existence by shaping or changing material, combining parts, etc.: to make a dress; to make a channel; to make a work of art.

• to produce; cause to exist or happen; bring about: to make trouble; to make war.

• to cause to be or become; render: to make someone happy.

• to appoint or name: The President made her his special envoy.

"To Do"

• to perform (an act, duty, role, etc.): Do nothing until you hear the bell.

• to execute (a piece or amount of work): to do a hauling job.

• to accomplish; finish; complete: He has already done his homework.

If something is "done", it is "completed", the task is finished, for example. If something is "made", it now exists, it is a finished product. If someone is happy because of something "I have done", then "I made them happy".

• Just brilliant, thank you very much for this awesome answer, thank you Jack. - Dakie Mar 6, 2011 flag
  • You're welcome Dakie :~) - Jack-OBrien Mar 6, 2011 flag
  • This is true, but it still boils down to a long list of colocations that need to be learned off by heart. - rabbitwho Mar 7, 2011 flag

I'd google that one guys, the answer is not simple and I'd not know where to start.

It's probs like explaining the difference between para and por - there must be a veritable host of info online.

You'll have to make do with that from me grin

OK look, I've done the hard work for you :-D

For me, a native English speaker, I do sense a difference between Make and Do.

Make emphasizes the result of my effort, such as I make breakfast. The result of my effort is the prepared food.

Do emphasizes the process of my work, such as I do work, I do the dishes. The effort itself is described, not the result of my work.

• My answer agrees with the other posts. I hope my explanation is simple to understand. - pesta Mar 6, 2011 flag
  • I do work- is "do" an auxiliary verb there? (which no one seems to be mentioning) - 0074b507 Mar 6, 2011 flag
  • The answer is in the question: Do you work? or Do you do work? In the second, work is a noun as in pesta's sentence. - Jubilado Mar 6, 2011 flag
  • I agree that it can be a auxiliary or a main verb, but no one seems to be mentioning that fact. - 0074b507 Mar 7, 2011 flag
  • I should have written "I do some work" to ensure "work" is my intended noun. - pesta Mar 7, 2011 flag

I have a very interesting exercise on this topic, Dakie and others, stay tuned , I will post it later on.

Maybe you also want to try the exercise on passivewink