Buenos Dias familia,

Back again with another Wisdom of the Day for y'all. So, for those who don't know, in this thread, we will discuss the proverb or expression, your understanding, and its translation. cool smile I also noticed some have even offered phrases that serve as synonyms, THAT'S GREAT! As well, pictures are always welcome! surprised Your participation is what makes this fun and keeps the learning locomotive running. grin

"El muerto al hoyo y el vivo al bollo."

If you are brave, don't google for it, just try to guess or to find out using the dictionary what it might mean. We have many great resources to use with this that will really help you accerelate your learning. wink Let's see how you do, and no natives!!! (por favor) raspberry

• "...y el vivo al bollo". - 00e657d4 Feb 24, 2011 flag
  • sorry, and thanks... I knew that... it was typo. :-p - DJ_Huero Feb 24, 2011 flag
  • Gekkosan, what did you fix? Lol, I was curious and tried to check but it says the previous version are identical? 0_o - DJ_Huero Feb 24, 2011 flag
  • DJ, this has been only provocation on the part of Gekkosan :P Get your arms ready ;P - bomberapolac Feb 24, 2011 flag
  • jaja! hmmm... what do you mean? =) - DJ_Huero Feb 24, 2011 flag

I think it should be: El muerto al hoyo y el vivo al bollo. Literally, the dead in the hole and the living in the bun. It reminds me of the Biblical saying, "Let the dead bury the dead."

Here is the verse in Spanish, from the NVI translation, Lucas 9:60: "Deja que los muertos entierren a sus propios muertos, pero tú ve y proclama el reino de Dios."

• Excellent Scriptural reference... nice job! - cristalino Feb 24, 2011 flag

The dead to the hole and the living to the bread.

Life goes on for the living.

Life is for living.

From death, springs life.

Live your life while you (still) can.

Life is for the living. Similar to ian, but not exactly.

Let the dead bury the dead, something like "let bygones be bygones"... Like I understand it: Forget the past and live for today.

''The dead to the hole and the living to the bun/ bump''

Bun/ bump probably refers to the saying '' You have a bun in the oven'' meaning you are pregnant.

Maybe the saying means when someone dies (or leaves the earth) there is always new light (some one else is born) :S

I personally believe in this. Trinidadians are superstitious and usually when someone dies, especially within the family, and a relative is pregnant we usually say that the pregnant person is having the person who died or a recantation of them.

• Interesting insight, thanks hotchick. =) - DJ_Huero Feb 24, 2011 flag

Hmmm, ¡tengo que estrujarme la mollera otra vez! raspberry

It obviously has something to do with death, or the dead, los difuntos... as such, they would have no use for bollos or bolillos... it's the worms that are doing the dining anyway... so, back to the 'dearly departed': having no use for food, what else would they no longer 'need' or 'require?' Well, the most apparent thing would be the living! Sure the living can say prayers and bring flowers to their final resting place, but for the most part, the Dead have no connection with the Living, their former relatives, former enemies and former friends... basically, the dead have nobody, neither friend nor foe....

In my part of the world we say 'El muerto al pozo y el vivo al gozo' raspberry
That hoyo/bollo version is new to me, never heard it before.

• I've heard that equivalent as well. =) - DJ_Huero Feb 25, 2011 flag