This is the title of a song I saw on youtube but I'm a little confused about the "tú" at the end. I would read this as "you like me" but it is still confusing to me. me gustas would be you like me (I think jajajaj) but the "tú" confuses me. It seems to be just hanging on at the end. When I tried to use the translators I got both "you like me" and also "I like you". Would someone be kind enough to clarify and explain this to me? Estoy RE CONFUNDIDA! confused

• You are pleasing to me. (: It was also hard for me but now it isn't! (: - Tomiik Feb 17, 2011 flag

Me Gustas Tú

Many English beginners [to Spanish] like to look at gustar=is pleasing to.

Gustar forms intransitive sentence with the indirect object being the subject in the equivalent English transitive sentence. The subject often follows the verb, but does not have to.

Tú me gustas is just as correct. (as is simply Me gustas)

You are pleasing to me. In English we would state that as I like you. (the Spanish indirect object "me" becomes the subject (I) of the English transitive sentence.

"¿Me gustas?" y "¿Me gustas tú?" are similar. In your example where "tú" is placed in the end of the phrase, could be just to match the lyrics of the song. Also, translators usually can't help when your input is more than a simple word or phrase.

• and they are especially poor at handling subject pronouns, possessive adjectives, etc.) - 0074b507 Feb 17, 2011 flag
  • Too true! :) They are also often wildly incorrect with verb tenses, but they give you a jumping off point so that you can return to correct what was wrong before you commit it to writing.:D - Debbie-Clee Feb 17, 2011 flag

That song is amazing!

Alexis y Fido - Me Gustas Tú

Chequeala canción aqui

To add my two cents of the obvious stated by qfreed... in the song he's telling the girl he likes her and nobody else besides her. From there he continues to express his thoughts and affection. smile

• Thank you!! Seems you've unlocked another key meaning for me. I appreciate it :D - Debbie-Clee Feb 17, 2011 flag

¡Como me encantan Alexis y Fido! But it means "I like you".

• It seems that the verb endings are the things that confuse me. $) More lessons in verbs needed! Thanks!! - Debbie-Clee Feb 17, 2011 flag

There's a great youtube video posted by Hannalee17 of this song . It's a version by Manu Chao (with lyrics) and great photos illustrating all of the key words of the song!

• This is the one I found on YT! All the words are very easy (even the bit of french) except the title and primary phrase that repeats. That's what stumped me ...who likes who LOL - Debbie-Clee Feb 17, 2011 flag