manana - tomorrow or morning? | SpanishDict Answers

Hi;

I'm having a lot of trouble with the many Spanish words that have different contextual meaning. Mañana is a perfect example. All my life I have known that "hasta Mañana" meant "until tomorrow". But, I just did a flashcard set that translated "morning" into "Mañana" !

So, how do I say "good morning." ?

Or, "tomorrow morning" as distinguished from "tomorrow"? In the first case, I mean a specific time range, from sunrise to noon on the next day. In the second case, I mean from noon to sunset on the next day. "mañana por la mañana" seems cumbersome and contradictory.

Or even worse, how about "yesterday morning?"

Help!

just a technical note:

el mañana=tormorrow or shortly in the future

la mañana=morning

So if it is por la mañana then it is in the morning (nothing to do with tomorrow)

mañana por la mañana=tomorrow in the morning

¡Bienvenido al foro!

Welcome to the forum!

Alot depends on context when using manaña. It can mean both "morning" or "tomorrow". Por la manaña means "in the morning" but in the context of "Hasta manaña", then manana can mean "until tomorrow" or "until the morning".

Good morning doesnt translate directly in Spanish (like many sayings!). Instead the Spanish essentially say "Good day" ie Buenos Dias, instead of good morning. I suppose you could run around Spain saying "Buenos manaña" but it would be like saying "good tomorrow". And would draw a few odd looks.

There are some really good materials in the reference section on the past (preterite, imperfect) tense and the future (future, conditional) which may shed some more light.

I think the key thing I'm learning is you can't directly translate from English to Spanish and vice versa. Some sayings and word constructions just don't make sense when you go word for word (Tengo hambre is a good example - you would never say, "I have hunger" in English, likewise you would never say, "Estoy hambre" in Spanish!)

I hope this helps!

• You can say estoy hambriento though, just out of interest... - afowen Feb 14, 2011 flag
  • thanks Ben. I must say I am a little dissapointed. The idea that a critical concept like "good morning" does not exist in Spanish is deeply disturbing. - Raargh Feb 14, 2011 flag
  • Welcome to the forum, :) - 00494d19 Feb 15, 2011 flag

The first is easy, you do not say good morning in Spanish, rather buenos días or buen día - good day.

Tomorrow morning is mañana por la mañana.

Yesterday morning is probably ayer por la mañana.

Just to add to the confusion, some people use "Hasta mañana" to mean "Hasta luego", that is they use it when they mean they'll see you in a few days.

I was at a bus stop yesterday and there was an advertisment campaign againt hunger. It said

"Su mañana es hoy - There is no way to tell if it is morning or tomorrow here but the context helps alot. His tomorrow is today. It wouldn´t really sound good if you said "his morning is today."

Just thought it might help

• carpe diem - 0074b507 Feb 15, 2011 flag
  • Why is that an advertisement against hunger? Was there a photo? - 0074b507 Feb 15, 2011 flag
  • yes, of a child in Africa in a desert scene - - dewclaw Feb 15, 2011 flag