Hi all,

Please list your favourite sport(s). Also the ones you actually play and your country's national sport so that we can collect a good vocabulary list.

If you'd like you can also give the sport terms used.

To start of, My favourite sport is El tenis - Tennis.

But I play volleyball (el voleibol). My(La India) national sport is hockey (el hockey).

Please give Spanish words/terms with their english meaning so that we can learn.

Happy Learning!!!

pelota a paleta

...

• is this squash? - soms Feb 3, 2011 flag
  • no, it`s pelota a paleta, also known as pelota goma. follow the link! - mediterrunio Feb 3, 2011 flag
  • thanks just checked the link - soms Feb 3, 2011 flag

La favorita desportes es el Basketball y me gusto correr porque es más saludable.

My favourite sports is the Basketball and I like to run cause it is more healthier.

Edit:

Mi deporte favorito es el baloncesto/básquetbol y me gusta correr (también) porque es más saludable bueno para la salud.

My favourite (in the U.S. "favourite" would be spelled "favorite.") sport is the basketball, and I like to run because it is more healthier good for my health.

Technically, you could say that running is "healthier," but you would need to specify what particular activity running was healthier than. If your original sentence was meant to imply that you like running because it is healthier than basketball then you would probably need to change the conjunction that you are using as well in order to highlight this contrast. If this was your intent then you could say something like:

My favorite sport is basketball, but I also like to run because it is healthier (than basketball).

Mi deporte favorito se llama tiro al arco, pero juego fútbol y corro también. Pienso que el deporte nacional en Los Estados Unidos es fútbol norteamericano.

My favorite sport is called archery, but I also play soccer and I run. I think the national sport in the United States is football.

• Do you mean 'american football' or the british equivalent of football, 'soccer'? - Seb79 Feb 3, 2011 flag
  • archery---> Tiro con arco - mediterrunio Feb 3, 2011 flag
  • Actually, "baseball" has the reputation as being "America's National Pastime." I'm really not sure which is more popular in terms of participation/viewership, though. - Izanoni1 Feb 3, 2011 flag
  • I meant American Football- the reason that I think this is America's national sport is because there have been recent reports out that say it is more popular than baseball currently - McMatt Feb 3, 2011 flag
  • @McMatt: I don't know. You might be right though. I know that after the lockout in the early 90s and with sideshow that was caused by all the doping allegations, baseball has probably lost quite a bit of its luster over the last couple of decades. - Izanoni1 Feb 3, 2011 flag

I enjoy watching basketball and any sport my kids play. They both like to run.

Me gusta ver baloncesto y todos los deportes que juegan mis hijos. A ambos les gusta correr. Un término importante en atletismo es PR, registro personal.

Photobucket

Mi hijo.

Edit

Disfruto mirando viendo baloncesto y alguno todos los deportes que juegan mis hijos. Ellos ambos son A ambos les gusta correr. Un término importante en atletismo es PR, registro personal.

(Note: It might be a bit more common to say "Me gusta ver...." rather than "Disfruto viendo....")

A mí me gusta mucho el box, es un deporte muy completo. Te da fuerza, velocidad, resistencia y flexibilidad. Los deportes más practicados en mi país, México, son el futbol soccer, el basquetbol y el beisbol.

El box también tiene muchos aficionados y México ha tenido muchos campeones de box, como Julio César Chávez, Ricardo "Finito" López, Rubén "El Púas" Olivares, Raúl "El Ratón" Macías, Érik "El Terrible" Morales", entre muchos otros.

I like boxing a lot, is a quite complete excersice. You improve your strenght, speed, fitnes, and flexiblity. The most practised sports in my country, Mexico, are soccer, basketball and basebal.

Boxing too has many practicioners in Mexico, and we have had many champions as Julio César Chávez, Ricardo "Finito" López, Rubén "El Púas" Olivares, Raúl "El Ratón" Macías, Érik "El Terrible" Morales", among many others.

Edit:

I like boxing a lot***. It*** is a very complete exercise. You improve your strength, speed, fitness, and flexibility. The most practised (in the U.S. "practiced" would be the common spelling) sports in my country, Mexico, are soccer, basketball and baseball.

Boxing, too, has many practitioners in Mexico, and we have had many champions like/such as Julio César Chávez, Ricardo "Finito" López, Rubén "El Púas" Olivares, Raúl "El Ratón" Macías, Érik "El Terrible" Morales", among many others. (Aside from the expression "among many others," you could also say "to name a few.")

• corrections offered above :) - Izanoni1 Feb 3, 2011 flag
  • Thanks for the editing, Izazoni, they were very tipful. Thanks a lot. :-) - LuisCacheux Feb 3, 2011 flag
  • De nada. A propósito, yo diría "they were very *helpful*" o tal vez "thanks for the tips." - Izanoni1 Feb 3, 2011 flag

I will refrain from offering my own list of favorite sports as this question has been asked in the past, and I previously responded on this thread: What are your favourite sports

Doing a search of previous threads before posting a question can often reveal useful information. That being said, you might also be interested in the responses found on the following threads

Hola. Cuál es tu juego favorito

Share your favorite game, sport or competition

• Thanks for the link, I did a search but found very few answered for those questions. So in the hope of collecting a richer vocabulary I asked this again :) - soms Feb 3, 2011 flag

Hi soms

This was not a vocabulary question. Could you please post on the correct category.

• Thanks for correcting the category Eddy :) - soms Feb 3, 2011 flag

Caber tossing (Scottish) Cheese rolling (English)

No idea re. translations.

India´s national sport is hockey (el hockey) but Cricket is more popular.

me gusta hide n seek

• "hide and seek" → "escondite"..... ►Me gusta jugar al escondite - Izanoni1 Feb 3, 2011 flag

¡Mi deporte favorito es ir de compras! tongue wink

Me gusta la lucha libre. smirk

Mi deporte favorito es patinando...pero me gusta bailar y nadar tambien!

Suggested Corrections:

Mi deporte favorito es el patinaje pero ¡me gusta bailar y nadar, también!

Notes: The verb "patinando" is in the impersonal "gerundio" form and should not be confused with the way that the English gerund is used (i.e. as a verbal noun). In Spanish, you cannot use this form as a verbal noun. To make a verbal noun in Spanish, you would have to use the infinitive form (as you have done with the verbs "bailar" and "nadar"). You can see the effect of this idea when you attempt to translate the second clause of your sentence which can be translated in one of two ways:

Me gusta bailar y nadar también

►I like to dance and swim, too.
►I enjoy dancing and swimming, too.

Here, you can see that in English, the Spanish infinitive (when used as a verbal noun) can be translated as either an infinitive or a gerund (depending on which is more appropriate for the particular sentence).

That being said, the use of a verbal noun (patinar in this case) is unnecessary because there already exists a noun in Spanish to convey this idea. That noun is "patinaje" which translates directly to "skating."

Again, these are just suggestions, and I hope that you find them useful smile

• Corrections suggested above. :) - Izanoni1 Feb 4, 2011 flag
  • Thanks...Im really glad I had a go at writing...it´s my first time so I feel very brave! - saramallorca Feb 5, 2011 flag
  • I´d like to research more nouns that don´t use there infinatives...can you send me any useful links please! - saramallorca Feb 5, 2011 flag