Every native Spanish speaking person swears that their country has the best Spanish diction, and language. Which country do you think does have the best Spanish?

This reminds me of the old joke:

[An American was visiting London on business. In an office building he is frantically pressing the elevator button, as he is late for a meeting. The British security guard goes to him "Is everything okay sir?" The American goes "Your **** elevators are slow!" The British security guard goes "No worries sir, it is a busy time of day. The lift will be here shortly." The American, at this point impatient, goes: "Elevator, you idiot. I'm from America, and we invented the **** thing - it's called an ELEVATOR." The British security guard simply smiles and says: "Very true, you did, sir. However, we invented the language, you see. As such, it is called a lift."]

So, I would have to defer to the mother country (España) if pressed for a "real" answer! wink

• jeje - bien dicho - margaretbl Feb 1, 2011 flag
  • Poignant. I'm not a speaker, yet, but I would agree with that way of thinking. - LiveUnsheath Feb 1, 2011 flag
  • 55555...Ummmm....It's a good answer against the angry person. - Darika Feb 1, 2011 flag

But of course, Puerto Rico, if we don't know the work we make one up....

• jeje, I am sure gekko agrees with this:P - 00494d19 Feb 1, 2011 flag
  • ....the work? :-) ...we make up work:-) Wonderful!! - Janice Feb 1, 2011 flag
  • Alas, it is true. My ears suffer daily, both from murdered English and murdered Spanish! - Gekkosan Feb 16, 2011 flag
  • ..and yes, "textear" does exist in Puerto Rico. :-P - Gekkosan Feb 16, 2011 flag

España, sin duda. Todos los otros hablan una version distorsionada de una manera o otra.
Spain, without a doubt. All the others speak a version distorted in one way or another.

• I'd gladly keep the distorted castillian from my country (Vzla). I can't really get along with "vosotros" no matter how hard I'd try :P - ZooZoo Feb 16, 2011 flag
  • But which region of Spain? - JulianChivi Feb 16, 2011 flag
  • Old Castille Julian - margaretbl Feb 16, 2011 flag
  • One of the Spanish-speaking regions. ;-) - KevinB Feb 16, 2011 flag

I think it would depend on what country you are from or are most familiar with. Each country seems to have their own flavor of español. For instance I am taking the Rocket Spanish course, taught by a person from Chile and he seems to lean toward the less formal approach, ei. using tú instead of usted. I think taking that course and this course both will give me a well rounded understanding of Spanish.

• Dear Ron, "that is" initials are "i.e." rather than "ei" and do include the periods for each letter :) - NancyGrace Feb 1, 2011 flag
  • Thanks for the tip Nancy. I just looked it up and I see that in addition to using the periods, you should also follow it with a comma, thusly i.e., - Ron_Austin Feb 1, 2011 flag

I've worked in two south american transnational companies before and I had plenty of interaction with people from Mexico, Colombia, Ecuador and other countries on daily basis. I don't think one is better than the other, we can all communicate just fine except when they start throwing slang at you, then we're all clueless!

So what I mean is, at a business / work level, I don't believe there'd be any problems due to the fact just as there is "standard english" there is "standard spanish", but in a social level yes, it's difficult to be understood and to understand others without knowing specific idioms and words.

I believe the goal is to be able to communicate and as long as we reach that point, everything else would be an appreciation of their cultural background.

Which whisky has the best flavour? Discuss wink

• Jack Daniel's! haha :) - LiveUnsheath Feb 16, 2011 flag
  • Well there you go...ever tried an Islay Malt? - lagartijaver Feb 16, 2011 flag
  • It's all subjective of course, but ever try J.T.S. Brown out of Kentucky, EE. UU? - cristalino Feb 17, 2011 flag
  • Islay Malt? Would that be from Islay Isle? - TejanoViejo Jun 6, 2011 flag

For me the "best Spanish" is that which I can understand. Sadly that makes the "best Spanish" that which is spoken by a gringo (not hispanic) American politician being interviewed in Spanish on a Spanish-language newscast, lol!

I do hope everyone knows I'm joking! (But I do get excited when I can actually understand them, lol!)

Jeb Bush speaks really good gringo Spanish.

I study communicative disorders in the US and feel the need to contribute what every one of my teachers has drilled into me: that there is no such thing as a good or a bad dialect. While some may be considered more prestigious, or you may like the sound of one more than another, they are all valid variations.

• Nice. :-) - Gekkosan Feb 16, 2011 flag
  • What about dialects, let's say, in English, that can be understood by all English speakers as compared to those understandable to a few. In terms of utility, shirley we can apply the words good and bad or at least better and worse. - afowen Feb 16, 2011 flag
  • I guess I would still disagree with an outsider determining the merits of any language, dialect, or culture. The danger is in when one dilect is labled as worse, then it isn't hard for people to take the same leap in discribing the people who speak it. - KayT Feb 16, 2011 flag
  • Yes, afowen, and quit calling me Shirley! ;o) - cristalino Feb 17, 2011 flag

Hay los hablantes mejores y peores en todos los paises, incluyendo en los estados unidos!

yo creo que Mexico tiene mejor Español.

Cuba, I guess.

And I´m mexican.