0 Vote

Is "marriage bed" the same as "double bed"?.

Which of them would you use to ask for a bed in a hotel?

Thank you.

  • Posted Jan 22, 2011
  • | link
  • | flag
  • Double bed - but we have an expression "bridal suite" for a couple who have just got married. - ian-hill Jan 22, 2011 flag

8 Answers

2 Vote

I would say a double bed.

1 Vote

Not to answer the question, but provide information on bed sizes (information from about.com link 1, link 2):

Are you thinking about a Double, a Full, or a Queen size bed?

Any of these sizes fit in a normal room, but many couples feel that a Full or Double bed (they're the same thing) is definitely too narrow for anything more than an occasional night's sleep. A Queen size bed gives each one a bit more room without taking up too much more floor space.

Mattress Sizes

* Twin--39 x 75 inches (or 99 x 190 cm)
* X-Long Twin--39 x 80 inches (99 x 203 cm)
* Full (Double)--54 x 75 inches (137 x 190 cm)
* Queen--60 x 80 inches (or 153 x 203 cm)
* King--76 x 80 inches (or 198 x 203 cm)
* California King--72 x 84 inches (or 182 x 213 cm)

Typically in a hotel in the US, my wife and I get a Queen bed as a minimum. I am not sure if these sizes are universal or US only.

0 Vote

You would ask for a double bed as marriage bed isn't used in English as it is in spanish.

0 Vote

In English "una cama matrimonial" can be translated as a double, full, queen or king size bed. They are all designed for two people but differ in size.

0 Vote

Use "double bed", I have never heard anyone use "marriage bed". I think it is a old phrase. smile

0 Vote

Ask for a double bed and avoid sniggers.

0 Vote

The matrimonial bed pertains to something very specific and not to bed size.

As people have already said, the standard phrase for a cama matrimonial is a double bed. When booking a hotel you'd not speak about bed size rather room type. A single room has a single bed, a twin room has two single beds and a double room has a double bed.However, as stadt has said, a double bed is not that big and you might want to ask if their double rooms have queen or king-size beds.

If you want to be extra-cautious you might want to check that the 'double' bed in fact has a double matress - I once stayed in a hotel in Seville and the 'double rooms' had two single beds pushed together with a double sheet covering them - pretty useless as you've going to fall down the gap in the middle...

  • jeje...I remember sleeping on a "queen size bed" that was in fact two mattresses pushed together as you described. What's worse, both sets were on rollers so they would move apart any time you shifted your weight...as you said, quite useless - Izanoni1 Jan 22, 2011 flag
  • ¡Tramposos! Jeje. - afowen Jan 22, 2011 flag
0 Vote

If you go to a mattress shop in México, and ask for a ''matrimonial'' they will show you a traditional full size mattress.

'' Tamaño queen'' as well as ''tamaño king'' and ''tamaño individual'' are the common words used for mattress sizes.

  • These are standarized sizes in our modern world. And for goodness sake... do not start saying this is spanglish. Queen and king size are familiar sizes in many countries of the world. - Agora Jan 22, 2011 flag
Answer this Question