What is the difference - 'A mi tambien', and 'yo tambien' | SpanishDict Answers

My Spanish friend tries to explain the difference between 'a mi tambien' and 'yo tambien' and is forever correcting me - my translation would be 'me too' for; a mi tambien. And 'i also' for; yo tambien. But i still get corrected when i use either - to use the other! Trying to use the translation on this site doesn't help either but its so frustrating that a simple phrase i'm not understanding the difference - as i am being stressed at that there is a difference. As i'm not Spanish and only learning i cant argue the case LOL

• Welcome to the forum, :) - 00494d19 Jan 19, 2011 flag
  • Laura, if you get a chance, click the "accept" button in lazarus's post to have his answer be the "best answer." - webdunce Jan 19, 2011 flag

The rule is simple: you repeat what the other person said, with the same structure, but referring to yourself. Square brackets are rarely used unless needed; normal brackets are often unnecessary.

First sentence in the first person for "yo":

[Yo] Quiero ir --- Yo también (quiero ir)

[Yo] He visto la película --- Yo también (he visto la película)

[Yo] Voy a ir mañana --- Yo también (voy a ir mañana)

[Yo] Lo encuentro gracioso --- Yo también (lo encuentro gracioso)

[Yo] Me alegro de verte --- Yo también (me alegro de verte)

[Yo] Me voy --- Yo también (me voy)

[Yo] Me arrepiento de hacerlo --- Yo también (me arrepiento de hacerlo)

First sentence in the third person for "me":

(A mí) Me gusta el jazz --- A mí también (me gusta el jazz)

(A mí) Me apetece un helado --- A mí también (me apetece un helado)

(A mí) Me duele la pierna --- A mí también (me duele la pierna)

(A mí) Me parece absurdo --- A mí también (me parece absurdo)

• A special case is the pronominal verbs...special only because they often start with me, but we must remember the implied yo that is there. [Yo] Me voy ahora -- Yo también. - webdunce Jan 19, 2011 flag
  • Such a clear answer. I wish I could vote it up more than once. - webdunce Jan 19, 2011 flag
  • Good point! I'll add it, with your permission. - lazarus1907 Jan 19, 2011 flag
  • Oh, certainly. Go ahead. - webdunce Jan 19, 2011 flag
  • You are the man lazarus1907 thankyou that was great! - lauramaryden Jan 19, 2011 flag

You would use yo también where you want to imply that you would do something as well.

Persona 1: Voy al restaurante. (I'm going to the restaurant)

Persona 2: Yo también. (Yo voy al restaurante también.)

.

You would use a mí también when you want to imply that you would be acting as a direct or indirect object as well.

Persona 1: Me dieron dos paquetes. (They gave me two packages {Here me is an indirect object})

Persona 2: A mí también. (Me dieron dos paquetes también).

.

Persona 1: Me enviaron a la tienda (They sent me to the store {here "me" is the direct object})

Persona 2: A mí también. (Me enviaron a la tienda también)

.

Or, at least, this is how I understand it so far. Perhaps a native will straighten us all out.

I'm sorry this is frustrating you, although - if it's any consolation - this is a common frustration for English speakers learning Spanish.

In casual English, they both mean "me too".

How do you know which one to use in Spanish? I will try to clarify for you.

Remember the verb "gustar" and, for example "I like" being "me gusta"? Remember that "me gusta" is not literally "I like", but really "it is pleasing to me"? This is when you would use "a mí también", meaning literally "to me also".

Examples: I like to swim - me gusta nadar (literally "to me it is pleasing to swim"). Me too - a mí también (literally "to me also") However... I swim a lot - Nado mucho. Me too - Yo tambien (literally "I do too", but in casual English "me too").

I hope that this has helped clear it up for you. If not, we can provide you with many more examples. At the very least, if you can remember that expressions with "gustar", "encantar", "doler" and similar types of constructions in Spanish will use "a mí también" for "me too", and constructions that actually use "yo" as the subject will use "yo también" for "me too".

Ok webdance has confused me again between the two! I thought the 'yo tambien' was towards doing/done the same, where as 'a mi tambien' was agreeing to something?

Hi lauramaryden,

It's confusing. I know it is. grin The problem is that the "me, too" in English is not grammatically consistent, but the Spanish is.

Yo también = me, too.

A mí también = me, too.

However, only yo can perform actions (be a subject, take a verb). So, if you want to indicate that you will be doing something as well, use yo también.

Use a mí también to indicate that something will be done to or for you as well.

.

If you're still confused, it's okay. Let us know and maybe someone else can put it another way. And, if not now, someday it will likely make sense when you're not thinking about it.

And, if we know your native language, someone might be able to provide the explanation in your native language...perhaps through a private message (PM).

I think...

...that you use 'a mí también' for verbs like gustar.

A mí me gusta la cerveza - to me, beer is pleasing (roughly)

So, in the above instance, when you are saying 'me too', you are saying '(beer is pleasing) to me as well' - ... a mí también

Otherwise, you'd use 'yo también' - simply 'me too':

Quiero ir al pub - I want to go to the pub. Me too - yo también.

• Looking at Webdunce's contribution and thinking a little more, I realise that my answer is not complete... - afowen Jan 19, 2011 flag

Here's another way to view it.

Yo también

English:

Person 1: I will go to the store

Person 2 (long response): I will go to the store, too.

Person 2 (short response): Me, too (but see how English changed the I into me?)

.

Spanish:

Persona 1: (Yo) Voy a ir a la tienda.

Persona 2 (respuesta larga): (Yo) Voy a ir a la tienda también.

Persona 2 (respuesta corta): Yo tambíen. (The Spanish does not change the yo)

Note: remember that the YO is implied by the verb itself, which is why I put yo in parenthesis.

.

A mí también

English:

Person 1: They sent me here.

Person 2 (long response): They sent me here, too.

Person 2 (short response): Me, too. (This time, the English doesn't change anything. In the first example, English changed the I to me, remember?)

.

Spanish:

Persona 1: Me enviaron aquí.

Persona 2 (respuesta larga): Me enviaron aquí también.

Persona 2 (respuesta corta): A mí también. (It would be me también, but me can only be used with the actual verb. Without the verb, me becomes a mí)

• Excellent! And you are a very patient teacher! - joygogo Oct 27, 2013 flag

That's made it more confusing as I've been told a mi tambien specifically means mean too? And it tells me that when I try the translation page and dictionary on this site? Arghh, the simplest thing hace mi confuso !

• We request that you try to use correct spelling, pronunciation, and grammar in both English and Spanish as we have people attempting to learn both languages here. I have corrected this post for you. I realize this is an unusual request of an Internet... - webdunce Jan 19, 2011 flag
  • It does mean 'me too' in the cases explained above. It litterally means 'to me too/aswell'. It seems to me that Bob is unwell. When you say 'me too' you mean that is seems that way 'to you too' but we tend to shorten that to 'me too'. It's the same... - afowen Jan 19, 2011 flag
  • ... in Spanish. - afowen Jan 19, 2011 flag
  • ...forum, so we've all had to get used to it, including myself, since we're used to using chat-speak everywhere else. :-) Oh, and welcome to the forum. - webdunce Jan 19, 2011 flag
  • I mean capitalization, not pronunciation...How can one use correct pronunciation in writing?...lol. - webdunce Jan 19, 2011 flag

• I'm sorry I confused you. :-) But I think I'm correct. By the way, what is your native language? (¿Cuál es tu lengua materna?) - webdunce Jan 19, 2011 flag

Ok i dont know how to do a private message LOL but i am English. Inside and out. That definately helped but if you simply want to agree, if someone says 'I'm tired' and u basically want to say 'Me too' to they're comment which would u use? Or if someone said 'I dont like her' and you simply want to agree with what they are saying which to use in that instance?

Thanku so much

• Oh, in your profile, you listed yourself as "advanced" in English. You need to change it to "fluent." LOL. - webdunce Jan 19, 2011 flag
  • Yo también and a mí también are both used to "simply agree"...I think lazarus's answer is best. - webdunce Jan 19, 2011 flag